This DIY repair and service manual by Haynes, covers 1997-2001 Toyota Camry, Avalon, Solara and 1997-2001 Lexus ES300 models.
The Camry, Lexus ES300 and the Avalon are 4-door sedans, while the Solara model is available in 2-door coupe or convertible body styles.
Power comes from either a 2.2L 4-cylinder or a 3.0L V6 engine.
Book Excerpt: 1997-2001 Toyota Camry, Avalon, Solara, Lexus ES300 Repair Manual
CAMSHAFT OIL SEALS
ENGINE ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS
(Refer to illustration 9.12)
- Remove the timing belt and camshaft sprocket(s) (see Section 8).
- Remove the bolts and detach the rear (no.3) timing belt cover.
- Note how far the seal is seated in the bore, and then carefully pry it out with a screwdriver. Wrap the screwdriver tip with tape - don't scratch the bore or damage the camshaft (if the camshaft is damaged, the new seal will end up leaking).
- Clean the bore and coat the outer edge of the new seal with engine oil or multi-purpose grease. Apply multi-purpose grease to the seal lip.
- Using a seal driver or a socket with an outside diameter slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the seal, carefully drive the new seal into place with a hammer (see illustration). Make sure it's installed squarely and driven in to the same depth as the original.
- Reinstall the rear timing belt cover and tighten the bolts.
- Reinstall the camshaft sprocket(s) and timing belt (see Section 8).
- Run the engine and check for oil leaks at the camshaft seal.
IGNITION TIMING | CHECK
(Refer to illustrations 8.2 and 8.4)
NOTE: The following ignition timing procedure should apply to most models covered by this manual. However, if the procedure specified on the VECI label of your vehicle differs from this one, use the procedure found on the VECI label.
The ignition timing cannot be adjusted on these models. The distributorless ignition system is controlled by the PCM (computer) during operation. If the ignition timing is incorrect, diagnose the ignition system components (see Section 6).
- On 2000 and later Avalon models and on 1999 and later Lexus ES 300 models, remove the V-bank cover (see Section 30 in Chapter 1).
- Locate the diagnostic electrical connector and insert a jumper wire between terminals E1 and TE1 (see illustration).
- With the ignition switch off, connect a timing light and a tachometer according to the tool manufacturer's instructions.
- Locate the timing marks on the timing belt cover and the crankshaft pulley (see illustration).
- Start the engine and allow it to warm up to normal operating temperature (upper radiator hose hot). Verify that the engine idle is correct (refer to the Specifications listed at the beginning of this Chapter).
- Idle speed cannot be adjusted. If the idle speed is incorrect, inspect the intake system (Chapter 4) for an air leak and check the operation of the idle air control valve (see Chapter 6).
If the intake system and the idle air control valve are okay, the PCM might be defective. Have the vehicle diagnosed by a dealer service department or other qualified repair shop.
Subject: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 Toyota Camry, Avalon, Solara, Lexus ES300 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563924048 | ISBN-13: 9781563924040 | Haynes 92007