This Haynes do-it-yourself repair and service manual covers the following 2002-2008 Toyota and Lexus models:
- Toyota Camry - 2002-2006
- Toyota Avalon - 2002-2006
- Toyota Solara - 2002-2008
- Lexus ES300 - 2002-2006
- Lexus ES330 - 2002-2006
Note: this manual DOES NOT include information specific to the 2005 and 2006 3.5L V6 engine.
Book Excerpt: 2002-2006 Toyota Camry, Avalon, Lexus ES300/330 and 2002-2008 Solara Repair Manual GENERAL ENGINE OVERHAUL PROCEDURES
CYLINDER COMPRESSION CHECK Refer to illustration 3.6 CHAPTER 10 | SUSPENSION AND STEERING SYSTEMS
- A compression check will tell you what mechanical condition the upper end of your engine (pistons, rings, valves, head gaskets) is in. Specifically, it can tell you if the compression is down due to leakage caused by worn piston rings, defective valves and seats or a blown head gasket. Note: The engine must be at normal operating temperature and the battery must be fully charged for this check.
- Begin by cleaning the area around the spark plugs before you remove them (compressed air should be used, if available). The idea is to prevent dirt from getting into the cylinders as the compression check is being done.
- Remove all of the spark plugs from the engine (see Chapter 1).
- Block the throttle wide open.
- Disable the ignition system by disconnecting the electrical connectors from the igniter/ignition coil assemblies (see Chapter 5). The fuel pump circuit should also be disabled by removing the circuit opening relay (C/OPN) from the fuse/relay center in the engine compartment (see Chapter 4).
- Install a compression gauge in the spark plug hole (see illustration).
STEERING KNUCKLE AND HUB: REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION Warning: Dust created by the brake system is harmful to your health. Never blow it out with compressed air and don't inhale any of it. Do not, under any circumstances, use petroleum-based solvents to clean brake parts. Use brake system cleaner only. REMOVAL
- Loosen the driveaxle/hub nut (see Chapter 8). Loosen the wheel lug nuts, raise the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands. Remove the wheel.
- Remove the brake caliper and support it with a piece of wire as described in Chapter 9. Remove the caliper torque plate and separate the brake disc from the hub.
- Loosen, but do not remove the strut-to-steering knuckle arm (see Section 17).
- Separate the tie-rod end from the steering knuckle arm (see Section 17).
- Remove the balljoint-to-lower arm bolt and nuts (see illustration 5.3a and 5.3b). The strut-to-knuckle bolts can now be removed.
- Push the driveaxle from the hub as described in Chapter 8. Support the end of the driveaxle with a piece of wire.
Subject: 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 Toyota Camry, Avalon, Solara, Lexus ES300/330 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1620920271 | ISBN-13: 9781620920275 | Haynes 92008