This Clymer repair and service manual covers 1995-2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 VN800A and 1996-2005 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic VN800B.
Note: This manual DOES NOT cover VN800C/E Drifter models
Book Excerpt: 1995-2005 Kawasaki VN800 Vulcan, Vulcan Classic Repair Manual
TROUBLESHOOTING: PRELIMINARY CHECKS AND PRECAUTIONS
Prior to starting any electrical troubleshooting procedure perform the following:
- Check the main fuse; make sure it is not blown. Replace if necessary.
- Check the individual fuse(s) for each circuit; make sure it is not blown. Replace if necessary.
- Inspect the battery. Make sure it is fully charged and that the battery leads are clean and securely attached to the battery terminals as described in Chapter Nine.
- Disconnect each electrical connector in the suspect circuit and make sure there are no bent metal pins on the male side of the electrical connector (Figure 9). A bent pin will not connect to its mate in the female end of the connector, causing an open circuit.
- Check each female end of the connector. Make sure that the metal connector on the end of each wire (Figure 10) is pushed all the way into the plastic connector. If not, carefully push them in with a small screwdriver.
- Check all wires where they enter the individual metal terminal in both the male and female plastic connector.
Subject: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 Kawasaki VN800 Vulcan, Vulcan Classic service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1599691868 | ISBN-13: 9781599691862 | Clymer M354-3