This repair and service manual covers 1985-2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 700, Vulcan 750 motorcycles, including:
- Kawasaki Vulcan 700, (VN700) 1985 (U.S. models)
- Kawasaki Vulcan 750, (VN750) 1985 (U.K. models)
- Kawasaki Vulcan 750, (VN750) 1986-2006
Refer to Clymer M354-3 for 1995-2005 Vulcan 800 and 800 Classic models.
Book Excerpt: 1985-2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 700, Vulcan 750 Repair Manual STARTER SYSTEM TROUBLESHOOTING
The starting system (Figure 19) consists of the starter motor, starter gears, starter relay, starter button, ignition switch, clutch switch (starter lockout), neutral switch, main and auxiliary fuses and battery. When the starter button is pressed, it allows current flow through the solenoid coil. The coil contacts close, allowing electricity to flow from the battery to the starter motor. CAUTION: Do not operate the starter for more than 5 seconds at a time. Let it rest approximately 10 seconds, then use it again. The starter should turn when the starter button is depressed when the transmission is in neutral and the clutch disengaged. If the starter does not operate properly, perform the following test procedures. Starter troubleshooting is grouped under the following:
- Starter motor does not turn.
- Starter motor turns slowly.
- Starter motor turns but engine does not start.
- Starter motor and engine turn but the engine does not start.
- Check the battery to make sure it is fully charged and in good condition. Refer to Chapter Three for battery service.
- Check the starter electrical cables for loose or damaged connections.
- Check the battery electrical cables for loose or damaged connections. Then check the battery state or charge as described under Battery Testing in Chapter Eight.
- If the starter does not operate correctly after making these checks and adjustments, perform the test procedure that best describes the starting trouble.
Subject: 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 700, Vulcan 750 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1599690853 | ISBN-13: 9781599690858 | Clymer M356-5
- General Information
- Lubrication, Maintenance and Tune-Up
- Fuel, Emission Control and Exhaust Systems
- Electrical System
- Liquid Cooling System
- Front Suspension and Steering
- Rear Suspension and Final Drive
- Wiring Diagrams