This Clymer DIY repair manual, covers the following Honda ATVs:
Book Excerpt: Honda TRX250X 1987-1992, TRX300EX Fourtrax, Sportrax ATV 1993-2006 Repair Manual...
- Honda TRX250X (TRX250) 1987-1988, 1991-1992
- Honda TRX300EX Fourtrax (TRX300) 1993-2000
- Honda TRX300EX Sportrax 2001-2006.
ENGINE LEAK DOWN TEST
An engine leak down test can determine engine problems from leaking valves, a blown head gasket or broken, worn or stuck piston rings.
REAR CALIPER | REAR BRAKE PAD REPLACEMENT
You can perform a cylinder leakage test by applying compressed air to the cylinder through a special tester and then measuring the percent of leakage.
You will need a cylinder leakage tester and an air compressor to perform this test (Figure 23).
Follow the tester manufacturer's directions along with the following information when performing a cylinder leakage test.
- Start and run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature. Then turn the engine off.
- Remove the air filter assembly. Open and secure the throttle so that it is at its wide-open position.
- Set the piston to TDC on its compression stroke.
- Remove the spark plug.
- Install the cylinder leakage tester (Figure 24) into the spark plug hole.
Honda does not list an interval for changing the rear brake pads. Pad wear depends greatly on riding habits and conditions. Replace the brake pads if they are worn as shown under Rear Brake Wear in Chapter Three.
To maintain an even brake pressure on the disc replace both brake rear pads as a set.
- Read the information listed under Disc Brake in this chapter.
- Support the vehicle with all 4 wheels on the ground. Block the front wheels to prevent the vehicle from rolling forward or backward.
- Release the parking brake.
- Pry back the lockwasher tabs from the 2 brake pad pin bolts, and the loosen the 2 bolts (Figure 38).
Subject: 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 Honda TRX250X, TRX300EX Fourtrax, TRX300EX Sportrax service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1599692996 | ISBN-13: 9781599692999 | Clymer M456-4