This DIY repair and service manual by Clymer, covers 2001-2012 Honda TRX250EX Sportrax and TRX250X ATVs, including:TRX250EX - 2001-2008
TRX250X - 2001-2012
Book Excerpt: 2001-2012 Honda TRX250EX Sportrax and TRX250X ATV Repair Manual
LUBRICATION, MAINTENANCE AND TUNE-UP
IDLE SPEED ADJUSTMENT
NOTE: The pilot screw does not require adjustment unless the carburetor is overhauled or a new pilot screw is installed. To adjust the pilot screw, refer to Chapter Eight.
- Start the engine and let it warm up approximately 10 minutes.
- Park the vehicle on level ground, apply the parking brake and shut off the engine.
- Connect a portable tachometer to the engine following its manufacturer's instructions.
- Remove the right side cover as described in Chapter Fourteen.
- Restart the engine and turn the throttle stop screw until the idle speed is within the range specified in Table 4.
- Open and close the throttle a couple times and check for variation in idle speed. Readjust if necessary.
Engine overheating can quickly cause engine seizure and damage. The following section lists the probable causes that can lead to engine overheating.
- Ignition system:
- Incorrect spark plug gap.
- Incorrect Spark plug heat range. Refer to Chapter Three.
- Faulty ICM incorrect ignition timing.
- Engine compression system:
- Cylinder head gasket leak.
- Heavy carbon buildup in combustion chamber.
- Engine lubrication system:
- Incorrect oil level.
- Incorrect oil viscosity.
- Faulty oil pump.
- Plugged oil line.
Subject: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 Honda TRX250EX Sportrax and 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Honda TRX250X service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1599696436 | ISBN-13: 9781599696430 | Clymer M215-2