The 1996-2001 Suzuki Samurai, Sidekick, X-90, Vitara DIY repair and service manual by Haynes, covers the following models:
- Suzuki Samurai
- Suzuki Sidekick
- Suzuki X-90
- Suzuki Vitara (all models)
- Geo Tracker
- Chevrolet Tracker
Covers all models powered by 1.3L, 1.6L and 2.0L four-cylinder engines.
Note: This manual does not include info specific to 1.8L four-cylinder or V6 models.
Book Excerpt: 1986-2001 Suzuki Samurai, Sidekick, X-90, Vitara, Geo & Chevrolet Tracker Repair Manual
The vehicles covered by this manual are available in 2-and 4-door soft top or hard top styles.
SUSPENSION AND STEERING SYSTEMS
The front mounted inline four-cylinder engine used on these vehicles is equipped with a carburetor or fuel injection, depending on model.
The engine drives the rear wheels through either a five-speed manual or three-or four-speed automatic transmission via a driveshaft running between the transmission (2-wheel drive models) or transfer case (4-wheel drive) and solid rear axle.
The transfer case and another driveshaft are used to drive the front axle.
The suspension features a solid axle at the rear on all models, supported by leaf springs (Samurai) or coil springs (Sidekick/X-90/Vitara/Tracker).
The front axle on Samurai models is also solid, with leaf spring suspension. All other models use an independent suspension arrangement, with the wheels supported by control arms and MacPherson struts.
The steering box is on earlier models mounted to the left of the engine and is connected to the steering arms through a series of rods which incorporates a damper (Samurai).
On later models with rack and pinion steering the steering gear is mounted in front of the engine and connected by rods to the steering arms. Power assist is optional on most models.
The brakes are disc at the front and rums at the rear, with power assist standard.
STEERING KNUCKLE (SIDEKICK/X-90/VITARA/TRACKER MODELS) | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
- Guide the knuckle assembly into position, inserting the driveaxle into the hub.
- Push the knuckle into the shock flange and install the bolts, but don't tighten them yet.
- Insert the balljoint stud into the steering knuckle hole and install the nut, but don't tighten it yet.
- Attach the tie-rod to the steering knuckle arm as described in Section 18. Tighten the strut bolt nuts, the balljoint nut and the tie-rod nut to the specified torque values.
- Attach the wheel spindle to the steering knuckle using silicone sealant and lubricant.
- Install the brake dust cover, tightening the fasteners to the torque listed in the Chapter 9 Specifications.
- Install the front hub assembly and brake disc.
- Install the 4WD driveaxle snap-ring and washer.
- Install the caliper as outlined in Chapter 9.
- Remove the floor jack supporting the suspension arm.
Subject: 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 Suzuki Samurai, Sidekick, X-90, Vitara, Geo, Chevrolet Tracker service, maintenance, and repair instructions.
ISBN-10: 1563924323 | ISBN-13: 9781563924323 | Haynes 90010