The 2001-2005 Suzuki GSXR600 sportbike repair manual by Clymer. covers the following models:
Book Excerpt: 2001-2005 Suzuki GSXR600 Repair Manual
- Suzuki GSXR600, 2001-2005 (U.S., California, Canada, U.K., Europe)
- Suzuki GSXR600 Alstare, 2003 (U.S., California, Canada)
During the following procedures, the term mainshaft refers to the transmission input shaft. The mainshaft is connected to the clutch hub, which is driven by the crankshaft primary drive gear and the primary driven gear on the clutch housing.
COOLING SYSTEM: WATER PUMP
The term countershaft refers to the output shaft of the transmission. The countershaft drives the engine sprocket. The manufacturer refers to the transmission input shaft as the countershaft and refers to the output shaft as the driveshaft. Note these differences when ordering parts.
Remove and install the transmission mainshaft and countershft assemblies as described in Crankcase in Chapter Five.
Once the transmission shaft assemblies have been removed from the crankcase, clean and inspect the assemblies before disassembling them.
Place an assembled shaft into a large can or plastic bucket, and thoroughly clean the assembly with a petroleum-based solvent such as kerosene and a stiff brush.
Dry the assembly with compressed air or let it sit on rags to drip dry. Do this for the both shaft assemblies.
- Remove the left side fairing panel (Chapter Fifteen).
- Drain the coolant and engine (Chapter Three).
- On 2001-2003 models, remove the coolant reservoir as described in this chapter.
- Remove the engine sprocket cover (Chapter Seven).
- Place a drain pan beneath the water pump to catch coolant that may leak from the hose.
- Release each hose clamp and disconnect the oil cooler hose (A, Figure 21), the bypass hose (B), the water pump input hose (C), and its output hose (D) from their fittings.
- Remove the water pump mounting bolts (A, Figure 22), then pull the pump from the crankcase. Discard the water pump O-ring (A, Figure 23).
- Inspect the water pump as described in this section.
Subject: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 Suzuki GSXR600, Alstare service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1599691167 | ISBN-13: 9781599691169 | Clymer M264