The 1980-1994 Subaru 1600, 1800 DIY repair and service manual by Haynes, covers 2WD and 4WD Sedan, Hatchback, Station Wagon, XT, Brat Pickup, and Loyale models.
Note: This manual does not cover Justy, XT6 or Impreza.
Book Excerpt: 1980-1994 Subaru 1600, 1800 Repair Manual
These Subarus are available in two-door and four door sedan, hatchback and station wagon models and have a conventional front engine/front-wheel drive layout on 2WD models.
All models covered by this manual are equipped with a 1.6L OHV engine, a 1.8L OHV engine or a 1.8L OHC engine. Early models are equipped with a carburetor while later models are equipped with throttle body or multi-port fuel injection systems.
Power from the engine is transferred through a five speed manual or four speed automatic transaxle via front independent driveaxles. On 4WD models, additional power is transferred to the rear of the vehicle through the driveshaft and into the rear differential which also utilizes independent rear driveaxles.
Suspension is independent in the front, utilizing coil springs with MacPherson struts and lower control arms to locate the knuckle assembly at each wheel. The rear suspension features either a torsion bar type or a coil over shock type.
The steering gear is a power assisted rack and pinion type that is mounted to the front of the engine crossmember with rubber insulators.
The brakes are disc at the front and drums at the rear, with power assist standard. Some later models are equipped with disc brakes in the rear, instead of drums.
HOOD | REMOVAL, INSTALLATION AND ADJUSTMENT
NOTE: The hood is heavy and somewhat awkward to remove and install - at least two people should perform this procedure.
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(Refer to illustrations 9.2, 9.4a and 9.4b)
- Use blankets or pads to cover the cowl area of the body and fenders. This will protect the body and paint as the hood is lifted off.
- Make marks or scribe a line around the hood hinge to ensure proper alignment during installation (see illustration).
- Disconnect any cables or wires that will interfere with removal.
- Have an assistant support the hood and remove the hinge-to-hood nuts or bolts (see illustrations).
- Lift off the hood.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
ADJUSTMENT (Refer to illustration 9.11 and 9.12)
- Fore-and-aft and side-to-side adjustment of the hood is done by moving the hinge plate slot after loosening the bolts or nuts.
- Scribe a line around the entire hinge plate so you can determine the amount of movement (see illustration 9.2).
- Loosen the bolts or nuts and move the hood into correct alignment. Move it only a little at a time. Tighten the hinge bolts and carefully lower the hood to check the position.
Subject: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994 Subaru 1600, 1800 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563922037 | ISBN-13: 9781563922039 | Haynes 89003