Book Excerpt: 1975-1979 Toyota Corolla 1600 Repair Manual CLUTCH AND MANUAL TRANSMISSION
GENERAL MANUAL TRANSMISSION SERVICE The repairs described here can be carried out with the transmission installed in the car. Unless specified otherwise, the procedures apply equally to the four-speed T40 and the five-speed T50 transmissions.
REPLACING REAR OIL SEAL The transmission rear oil seal need be replaced only if it is leaking or if it has been removed for access to the extension housing bushing. The old seal is ruined by removal and cannot be reused. The extension housing must be removed if the bushing is to be replaced. TO REMOVE:
- Raise the car on a hoist or support it on stands designed for the purpose.
- Using a file or a center punch, mark the adjacent points on the rear axle's pinion flange and the rear universal joint so that the driveshaft can be reinstalled in its original position on the pinion flange. Then remove the driveshaft as described in DRIVESHAFT AND REAR AXLE.
- Using a puller as indicated in Fig. 4-1, remove the old oil seal.
- Thoroughly clean the seal recess in the transmission's extension housing.
- Hand-start the new seal - closed side outward - into the transmission's extension housing.
- Using a seal driver such as the one illustrated in Fig. 4-2, drive the new seal squarely in until its closed side is flush with the edge of the extension housing.
MAINTENANCE The following routine maintenance steps are covered briefly in LUBRICATION AND MAINTENANCE or in this section under the headings listed after some of the items.
- Checking and adjusting valve clearance. 5.2
- Checking and adjusting or replacing V-belt(s)
- Checking engine bolt torques
- Changing engine oil and filter and checking oil level
- Checking and replacing coolant
- Checking cooling system and, if necessary, replacing faulty hoses
- Checking and, if necessary, replacing vacuum hoses
- Checking exhaust system
- Checking ignition distributor's breaker point dwell, then checking and, if necessary, adjusting ignition timing. 3.2, 3.3
- Replacing ignition distributor's breaker points. 3.2
- Replacing spark plugs. 3.5
- Checking distributor cap, distributor rotor, and spark plug cables and high tension lead. 3.2, 3.4
- Checking ignition distributor's spark advance mechanism. 3.3
- Checking spark control systems (described in detail in FUEL AND EXHAUST SYSTEMS)
- Checking and adjusting idle (described in detail in FUEL AND EXHAUST SYSTEMS)
Subject: Automotive: Repair: 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979 Toyota Corolla service manual. ISBN-10: 0837602424 | ISBN-13: 9780837602424 | Bentley TCR9
- Automatic Transmission
- Clutch and Manual Transmission
- Driveshaft and Rear Axle
- Electrical System
- 2T-C 1600 Engine
- Lubrication and Maintenance
- Fuel System
- Exhaust System
- Brakes, Wheels
- Body and Interior Trim
- Wiring Diagrams