This Clymer M231 repair and service manual covers Honda VTX1300 Series, including the following models:
- Honda VTX1300S, 2003-2007
- Honda VTX1300C, 2004-2009
- Honda VTX1300R, 2005-2009
- Honda VTX1300T, 2008-2009
The detailed and comprehensive manual covers Honda VTX1300 models, 2003 through 2009 and it provides detailed info on maintenance, tune-up, repair and overhaul, accompanied by hundreds of photos, illustrations, drawings, charts and diagrams that guide you through every job.
Book Excerpt: 2003-2009 Honda VTX1300 Series Repair Manual
THIS SECTION DESCRIBES ELECTRICAL TROUBLESHOOTING
AND THE USE OF TEST EQUIPMENT
Never assume anything and do not overlook the obvious, such as a blown fuse or an electrical connector that has separated.
ENGINE TOP END
Test the simplest and most obvious items first and try to make tests at easily accessible points on the motorcycle. Make sure to troubleshoot systematically and never rule out the possibility of multiple problems.
Refer to the color wiring diagrams at the end of the manual for component and connector identification. Use the wiring diagrams to determine how the circuit should work by tracing current paths from the power source through the circuit components to ground.
Also check any circuits that share the same fuse, ground, or switch. If the other circuits work properly and the shared wiring is good, the cause must be in the wiring used only by the suspect circuit.
If all related circuits are faulty at the same time, the probably cause is a poor ground connection or a blown fuse(s).
NOTE: Tables 1-4 are at the end of the chapter. Refer to Chapter Three for valve adjustment.
CYLINDER HEAD COVERS AND ROCKER ARMS
Each cylinder head cover is equipped with three rocker arms and two rocker arm shafts. A semi-drying sealer seals the cylinder head covers to the cylinder heads.
- Remove the engine from the frame as described in Engine in Chapter Five.
- Before removing the cylinder head covers, check for any oil leaks that may indicate a damaged gasket surface and mark the area if a leak if found. Check the water pipes for coolant leaks.
NOTE: The photographs in this procedure are for the front cylinder head cover. The procedure for the rear cylinder head cover is the same.
- Remove the valve adjustment covers and O-rings.
- Remove the bolts (A, Figure 1), cover (B, Figure 1) and the PAIR check valve (Figure 2).
- Remove the Allen bolts and the timing hole cap cover.
NOTE: The primary drive gear and right crankcase cover must be installed on the engine to align the TDC timing marks.
- Remove the timing hole cap (Figure 3) and its O-ring to access the timing marks.
- Remove one spark plug from each cylinder as described in Chapter Three to make it easier to turn the engine by hand. Cover the spark plug openings to prevent objects from falling into the engine.
- Set the piston for the cylinder head cover being serviced at TDC on its compression stroke as follows:
- a. Use a socket on the primary drive gear bolt and rotate the crankshaft clockwise.
- b. For the front cylinder head cover, align the F-T mark (A, Figure 4) on the primary drive gear with the index mark (B) on the right crankcase cover.
- c. For the rear cylinder head cover, align the R-T mark (A, Figure 5) on the primary drive gear with the index mark (B) on the right crankcase cover.
- d. Try to move the rocker arms for the cylinder head cover being removed. The exhaust rocker arm and both intake rocker arms should have some free play. If all three rocker arms are tight (no free play), rotate the engine 360 degrees (1 full turn) clockwise and realign the F-T or R-T mark.
Clymer publishes extremely high quality and thorough DIY repair/service manuals. The Honda VTX1300 Series Repair Manual 2003-2009 demonstrates Clymer quality throughout. You will find detailed and simple to understand step-by-step repair/service instructions for every component and system on your Honda VTX1300 series bike. Diagrams, photos and exploded views augment and enhance the instructions to aid in overall understanding.
The Motor Bookstore is your one stop shop for the largest selection of service and repair manuals. We offer Fast and Free Shipping with inexpensive expedited shipping options. Don't wait purchase your Clymer M231 today.
Subject: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Honda VTX1300 motorcycle service, maintenance, and repair procedures.
ISBN-10: 1599693399 | ISBN-13: 9781599693392 | Clymer M231