The 2004-2009 Honda TRX450R, TRX450ER ATV repair manual by Clymer covers the following models:
Book Excerpt: 2004-2009 Honda TRX450R, TRX450ER ATV Repair Manual
- Honda TRX450R, 2004-2009
- Honda TRX450ER, 2006-2009
ENGINE LOWER END (2004-2005)
This procedure describes the steps to remove the complete engine assembly. If desired, remove the sub-assemblies attached to the crankcase while the engine is still in the frame.
NOTE: this chapter continues all the way to step #33.
- If possible, perform an engine compression test (Chapter Three) and leakdown test (Chapter Two) before dismantling the engine.
- Remove the heat guard plate (Chapter Fifteen).
- Remove the exhaust system (Chapter Four).
- Remove the carburetor (Chapter Nine).
- Drain the engine oil (Chapter Three).
- Drain the coolant (Chapter Three).
- Remove the rear brake pedal (Chapter Fourteen).
- Disconnect the two alternator wiring harness clutch cable/parking brake clamps (A, Figure 1).
- Disconnect the two alternator connectors (A, Figure 2) and the ignition pulse generator connector (B).
Note the alternator wire harness routing and any clamps or ties before removing the wire harness from the frame.
- Disconnect the spark plug wire at the spark plug.
ALTERNATOR CHARGE COIL RESISTANCE TEST
This test checks the charge coil for an open or short circuit. The test can be made with the left crankcase cover mounted on the engine.
- Remove the right front fender (Chapter Fifteen).
- (A) On 2004-2005 models, disconnect the alternator connector (Fig. 22) containing the three yellow wires.
- (B) On 2006-2009 models, disconnect the alternator connector (A, Fig. 23).
- Check for loose or corroded terminals in the alternator and wiring harness side connectors.
- Check for continuity between each yellow wire terminal on the alternator end of the connector. The correct reading is 0.1-1.0 ohms.
If the resistance is as specified, the charge coil is good. If the resistance is significantly higher than that specified or the reading is infinite, the coil is damaged.
Replace the stator coil assembly as described in this chapter.
- Use the ohnmmeter and check continuity from each yellow wire terminal on the alternator end of the connector and ground. There should be no continuity.
Replace the stator coil as described in this chapter if any yellow wire terminal has continuity to ground. Continuity indicates a short within the stator coil winding.
- If the stator coil fails either of these tests, replace it as described in this chapter.
- Pack the connectors with dielectric grease before reconnecting.
Subject: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Honda TRX450R and TRX450ER service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1599694115 | ISBN-13: 9781599694115 | Clymer M201