This Clymer do-it-yourself repair manual, covers 1997-2016 Honda TRX250 Recon and 2002-2016 Honda TRX250 Recon ES all-terrain vehicle (ATV) models.
TRX250 ATVs are powered by four-stroke, overhead valve (OHV) pushrod type engines, where the crankshaft drives the crankcase-mounted camshaft via a short cam chain.
If you own a Honda TRX250 Recon ATV, you definitely need to have this 1997-2016 Honda TRX250 Repair Manual at your ready. The Honda TRX250 Recon is a well made and very dependable machine but that doesn't mean you can overlook maintenance and service. A regular maintenance and service schedule should be followed to extend the life of your TRX250 ATV. The Clymer M446-4 repair manual is the authority source for DIY repair, rebuild and service procedures using a step-by-step format to help you be successful. There are exploded views, expert tips, strategies and even color wiring diagrams to guarantee the success of your rebuild project.
Book Excerpt: 1997-2016 Honda TRX250 Recon, TRX250 Recon ES ATV Repair Manual
When inspecting the valve components, compare the actual measurements to the specifications in Table 2. Replace parts that are damaged, worn to the wear limit or out of specification.
REAR (PARKING) BRAKE ADJUSTMENT
Refer to the troubleshooting chart in Figure 32 when inspecting and troubleshooting the valves.
- Clean the valves in solvent. Do not gouge or damage the valve seating face.
- Inspect the contact surface (Figure 33) of each valve for burning. Minor roughness and pitting can be removed by lapping the valve as described in this chapter.
Excessive unevenness in the contact surface is an indication that the valve is not serviceable.
- Inspect the valve stems for wear and roughness. Measure the valve stem diameter for wear (Figure 34). Record the measurement.
- Remove all carbon and varnish from the valve guides with a stiff spiral wire brush before measuring wear.
NOTE: Make sure the cutout relief in the adjusting nut is properly seated on the barrell connector.
- Before adjusting the rear brake, check the brake pedal, brake cables and adjusters for loose or damaged connections. Replace or repair any damage before continuing with Step 2.
- Lubricate the rear brake cables as described in the chapter.
- Release the parking brake if it is set.
- Check the rear brake linings as described in this chapter. If the brake lining thickness is within specifications, continue with Step 5.
- Apply the rear brake lever and measure the amount of free play at the end of the lever until the rear brake starts to engage (Figure 34). Note the following:
- If the rear brake lever free play is outside the range specified in Table 4,continue with Step 6.
- If the free play travel is within specs, go to Step 7.
NOTE: Contamination inside the brake drum can cause brakes to apply too soon. If there is dirt or other debris inside the drum, remove the brake drum and inspect the drum surface and brake linings as described in Chapter Thirteen.
- Adjust the rear brake lever free play by turning upper adjusting nut (A, Figure 35) in or out to achieve the correct amount of free play.
NOTE: Make sure the cutout relief in the adjust-nut is properly seated on the collar.
- Check the brake pedal free play. With the pedal in the at rest position, apply the brake pedal and check the distance it travels until the rear brake is applied (Figure 36).
If the brake pedal free play is outside the range specified in Table 4, turn the lower adjusting nut (B, Figure 35) in or out to achieve the correct amount of play.
Subject: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Honda TRX250 Fourtrax Recon, TRX250 Recon ES service, maintenance, and repair procedures.
ISBN-10: 1620922320 | ISBN-13: 9781620922323 | Clymer M446-4