This DIY service, repair and maintenance manual by Haynes, covers Honda Civic 1996-2000, Honda CR-V 1997-2001, and Acura Integra 1994-2000.
A must-have companion for the do-it-yourself home mechanic who wants to maintain and service his car in his garage.
Book Excerpt: Honda Civic 1996-2000, CR-V 1997-2001, Acura Integra 1994-2000 Repair Manual
CLUTCH AND DRIVELINE
DIFFERENTIAL OIL SEALS (4WD CR-V MODELS) | REPLACEMENT
CHASSIS ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
PINION OIL SEAL
- Raise the rear of the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands. Place the transmission in Neutral with the parking brake off. Block the front wheels to prevent the vehicle from rolling.
- Mark the relationship of the driveshaft to the pinion flange, then unbolt the driveshaft from the flange (see Section 14). Suspend the driveshaft with a piece of wire (don?t let it hang by the center support bearing).
- Using a hammer and a punch, unstake the pinion flange nut (see illustration).
- A flange holding tool will be required to keep the companion flange from moving while the self-locking pinion nut is loosened. A chain wrench will also work (see illustration).
- Remove the pinion nut, spring washer, back-up ring and O-ring.
- Withdraw the flange. It may be necessary to use a two-jaw puller engaged behind the flange to draw it off. Do not attempt to pry or hammer behind the flange or hammer on the end of the pinion shaft.
- Pry out the old seal and discard it (see illustration).
INSTRUMENT PANEL LIGHTS DIMMER SWITCH
- Remove the switch from the instrument panel (see Step 17).
- The control circuitry is contained within the switch, so the switch cannot be checked using conventional methods. The following check tests each individual circuit.
If there is a problem with the system and the circuits are good, the switch is assumed defective. Inspect the switch terminals, if they?re corroded or bent, repair them if possible or replace the switch.
- Working on the wiring harness connector, connect an ohmmeter between terminal no. 2 and a good chassis ground (see illustration). There should be continuity. If not, check the circuit for an open or bad connection.
- With the headlights switch ON, connect a voltmeter between terminal no. 1 and ground. There should be a battery voltage. If not, check the circuit back to the under-dash fuse box and combination switch.
- With the headlight switch ON, connect a jumper wire between terminal no. 3 and a good chassis ground. The instrument panel lights should come on at full brightness.
- If the wiring test results were correct and the switch doesn?t work properly, replace the switch.
Subject: 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 Honda Civic, CR-V, Acura Integra service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563925826 | ISBN-13: 9781563925825 | Haynes 42025