This DIY service, repair and maintenance manual by Haynes, covers all 1994-1997 Honda Accord models.
Book Excerpt: 1994-1997 Honda Accord Repair Manual
INTRODUCTION TO THE HONDA ACCORD
These models are available in two-door coupe, four-door sedan and station wagon body styles.
EMISSIONS AND ENGINE CONTROL SYSTEMS
The transversely mounted inline four-cylinder or V6 engines used in these models are equipped with electronic fuel injection.
The engine drives the front wheels through either a five-speed manual or a four-speed automatic transaxle via independent driveaxles.
Independent suspension, featuring coil spring/shock absorber units, is used on all four wheels. The power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering unit is mounted behind the engine.
The brakes are disc at the front and either disc or drum at the rear, with power assist standard. Some models are equipped with Anti-lock Braking Systems (ABS).
TWO-WAY VALVE (Refer to illustration 7.18)
- Remove the fuel tank (see Chapter 4).
- Detach the vapor line from the fuel tank and connect a T-fitting into a vacuum pump and vacuum gauge (see illustration).
- Apply vacuum slowly and steadily and observe the gauge. Vacuum should stabilize momentarily at 0.2 to 0.6 in-Hg. If the valve opens (stabilizes) before the correct vacuum, replace it with a new part.
- Move the hand held vacuum pump over to the pressure fitting (same vacuum line arrangement). Pressurize the line and observe the gauge. Pressure should stabilize at 0.4 to 1.4 in-Hg (valve opens).
- If the valve opens (stabilizes) before or after the correct vacuum, replace it with a new part.
ELECTRONIC LOAD DETECTOR (ELD) SYSTEM
(Refer to illustrations 8.2 and 8.3)
- The ELD system detects excess amperage draw (load) on the electrical circuits that govern the headlights, fuel injection, charging system etc.
The prime symptom of an electrical overload is a driveability problem, usually occurring when the engine is idling.
Any trouble with the ELD system will set a code 20.
Subject: 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 Honda Accord service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563923238 | ISBN-13: 9781563923234 | Haynes 42013