This Chilton repair and service manual covers 1996-2000 Honda Civic and Honda Del Sol, U.S. and Canadian models.
Book Excerpt: 1996-2000 Honda Civic, Honda Del Sol Repair Manual
ENGINE AND ENGINE OVERHAUL
ENGINE FAN | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(See Figures 32, 33, 37, 41 and 42)
NOTE: The radiator cooling fans are electrically operated and mount directly o the radiator.
CAUTION! Never open a radiator cap or cooling system when the coolant temperature is above 100 degrees F (38 degrees C). Avoid physical contact at all times, wear protective clothing and eye protection. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. If spillage occurs take care to clean the spill as quickly as possible.
- Note the radio security code and disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the electrical connectors and wiring guide brackets for the cooling fans.
- If additional work space is needed, drain about 3 quarts of coolant from the radiator into a sealable container by loosening the radiator drain plug, and then disconnect and plug the upper radiator hose.
- Remove the positive battery cable and remove the battery.
- Disconnect the wire harness guides from the battery tray.
- Remove the ground strap and the relay box bracket from the battery tray.
- Remove the battery tray mounting bolts and remove the battery tray.
- Remove the wire harness holders from the upper radiator support.
- Detach the electrical connectors for the Air Conditioning compressor clutch.
- Remove the fan shroud mounting bolts.
- Carefully remove the cooling fan assembly from the vehicle.
- The installation is the reverse order of removal except for the following.
- Top off and bleed the cooling system as necessary.
- When connecting the battery cables, connect the positive battery cable first, and then the negative cable.
- Enter the radio security code.
- Start the engine and check for coolant leaks and normal operation of the cooling fans.
Subject: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 Honda Civic, Del Sol service, maintenance and repair. ISBN-10: 1563924307 | ISBN-13: 9781563924309 | Chilton 30202