The 1988-2000 Honda Gold Wing 1500 repair manual by Haynes, covers motorcycle models with 1500cc engines.
Book Excerpt: 1988-2000 Honda Gold Wing 1500 Repair Manual
ENGINE WILL NOT START
- Disconnect one of the spark plug wires, connect the wire to a spare spark plug and lay the plug on the engine with the threads contacting the engine.
If necessary, hold the spark plug with an insulated tool. Crank the engine over and make sure a well-defined, blue spark occurs between the spark plug electrodes.
WARNING: Don't remove one of the spark plugs from the engine to perform this check ? atomizes fuel being pumped out of the open spark plug hole could ignite, causing severe injury!
If no spark occurs, the following checks should be made:
- Unscrew the spark plug caps from the plugs and check the resistance between the secondary terminals of each ignition coil pair with an ohmmeter (see illustration).
The pairs are cylinders 1 and 2; 3 and 4; and 5 and 6. If the resistance is not within Specifications, test the coil secondary resistance without the plug wires as described below.
- Make sure all electrical connectors are clean and tight. Check all wires for shorts, opens and correct installation.
- Check the battery for voltage with a voltmeter and ? on models equipped with batteries having removable filler caps- check the specific gravity with a hydrometer (see Chapter 1).
If the voltage is less than 12-volts or if the specific gravity is low, recharge the battery.
- Check the ignition fuse and fuse connections. If the fuse is blown, replace it with a new one; if the connections are loose of corroded, clean or repair them.
- Refer to Chapter 9 and check the ignition switch, engine kill switch, neutral switch and sidestand switch.
- Refer to Section 3 and check the ignition coil primary and secondary resistance.
- Refer to Section 4 and check pulse generator resistance.
ENGINE STARTS BUT MISFIRES
- If the engine starts but misfires, make the following checks before you decide that the ignition system is at fault.
- The ignition system must be able to produce a spark across a six millimeter (1/4 inch) gap (minimum). A simple test fixture (see illustration) can be constructed to make sure minimum spark gap can be jumped.
Make sure the fixture electrodes are positioned six millimeters apart.
- Connect one of the spark plug wires to one of the protruding test fixture electrode, then attach the fixtures alligator clip to a good engine ground/earth.
- Crank the engine over (it will probably start and run on the remaining cylinders) and see if a well-defined, blue spark occur between the test fixture electrodes.
If the minimum spark gap test is positive, the ignition coil for that cylinder (and its companion cylinder) is functioning properly. Repeat the check on one of the spark plug wires that is connected to the other coils.
If the spark plug will not jump the gap during either test, or it is weak (orange colored), refer to Steps 5 through 11 of this section and perform component checks described.
Subject: 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 Honda Gold Wing 1500 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563924064 | ISBN-13: 9781563924064 | Haynes 2225