This DIY repair and service manual by Haynes, covers 1984-1987 Honda GL1200 Goldwing touring motorcycles, powered by liquid-cooled, 4-cylinder 1182cc SOHC engines with carburetors.
Note: fuel-injected models are NOT covered by this manual.
Book Excerpt: 1984-1987 Honda Gold Wing GL1200 Repair Manual
FUEL AND EXHAUST SYSTEMS
FUEL TANK | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
FAIRING AND BODYWORK
(Refer to illustrations 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10 and 2.11)
- The fuel tank is mounted beneath the seat and is held in place at the rear end by a bolt. At the front, cups on each side of the tank fit over rubber mounts on the frame.
- Disconnect the cable from the negative terminal of the battery.
- Remove the seat, top compartment and rear fender (see Chapter 8).
- Remove the rear wheel and shock absorbers. Unbolt the rear master cylinder and tie it in an upright position so brake fluid won't spill (see Chapter 6 and 7).
- Remove the battery and battery tray (see Chapter 9).
- Remove the cap from the fuel tank and disconnect the hose from the left rear corner of the fuel tray.
- If there's a splash shield at the front of the fuel tray, disconnect the hose that passes through the loop on its left side (see illustration). Remove the shield's mounting nut and lift the shield free of the fuel tray.
- Remove the fuel filler cap. Free the wiring harness from the clips molded into the leading edge of the fuel tray, then remove the fuel tray (see illustration).
(Refer to illustration 1.2)
This Chapter covers the procedures necessary to remove and install the fairing and other body parts. Since many service and repair operations on these motorcycles require removal of the fairing and/or other body parts, the procedures are grouped here and referred to from other Chapters.
In the event of damage to the fairing or other body part, it is usually necessary to remove the broken component and replace it with a new (or used) one.
The material that the fairings are composed of doesn't lend itself to conventional repair techniques.
There are, however, some shops that specialize in plastic welding, so it would be advantageous to check around first before throwing the damaged part away.
When you order new body parts, refer to the color label inside the top compartment (see illustration) to make sure the new parts match the bike.
Subject: 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987 Honda Gold Wing GL1200 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563921995 | ISBN-13: 9781563921995 | Haynes 2199