The 1984-1987 Honda Gold Wing GL1200 repair manual by Clymer covers:
Book Excerpt: 1984-1987 Honda Gold Wing GL1200 Repair Manual
- Honda Goldwing GL1200 Standard 1984
- Honda Goldwing Aspencade GL1200A 1984-1987
- Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1200I 1985-1987
- Honda Goldwing Limited Edition GL1200L 1985
- Honda Goldwing Aspencade SE-i GL1200SE-i 1986
BATTERY: REMOVAL, INSTALLATION AND ELECTROLYTE LEVEL CHECK
The battery is the heart of the electrical system. It should be checked and serviced as indicated in Table 1. Most electrical system troubles can be attributed to neglect of this vital component.
The electrolyte level should be maintained between the 2 marks on the battery case (Figure 3). If the electrolyte level is low, remove the battery from the bike so it can be thoroughly serviced and checked.
- Remove the left-hand side cover and the seat.
- Remove the bolt (A, Figure 6) securing the battery holder bracket.
- Swing the holder bracket (B, Figure 6) down and out of the way.
- Disconnect the battery negative (-) lead and then the positive (+) lead (C, Figure 6) from the battery.
- Unhook the battery vent tube (D, Figure 6) from the battery. Leave it routed through the bike's frame.
- Slide the battery out of the frame.
- Wipe off any of the highly corrosive residue that may have dripped from the battery during removal.
Oil is graded according to its viscosity, which is an indication of how thick it is. The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) system distinguishes oil viscosity by numbers.
Thick oils have higher viscosity numbers than thin oils. For example, as SAE 5 oil is a thin oil while an SAE 90 oil is relatively thick.
A good quality grease (preferably waterproof) should be used. Water does not wash grease off parts as easily as it washes oil off.
In addition, grease maintains its lubricating qualities better than oil on long and strenuous rides. In an emergency, though, the wrong lubricant is better than none at all.
If the wrong lubricant must be used, replace it with the correct lubricant as soon as possible.
Subject: 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987 Honda Gold Wing GL1200 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0892875437 | ISBN-13: 9780892875436 | Clymer M504