This Chilton DIY repair and service manual, covers 1985-1993 Chevy Spectrum and 1985-1993 Geo Storm. U.S. and Canadian models.
Book Excerpt: 1985-1993 Chevrolet Spectrum, Geo Storm Repair Manual
ENGINE AND ENGINE REBUILDING
FLYWHEEL (FLEXPLATE) | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(See Figure 134)
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the transaxle assembly from the vehicle. Refer to Section 7 of this manual.
- If equipped with a manual transaxle, remove the clutch assembly. Refer to Section 7 of this manual.
- Matchmark the position of the flywheel to the engine block.
- Keep the flywheel from turning, using a holding fixture if necessary, and remove the flywheel retaining bolts.
- Remove the flywheel from the engine.
- Clean and inspect the flywheel. On some engines, the ring gear may be replaced if damaged.
- Position the flywheel to the engine, aligning the matchmarks made during removal.
- Apply a light coat of Loctite? 262, or equivalent thread lock, to the flywheel retaining bolt threads. Be careful not to over-apply the sealant or it could overflow the bolt seat and cause the bolt to work loose during vehicle operation.
- Tighten the flywheel retaining bolts in a crosswise pattern. For most vehicles, tighten the bolts to 22 ft.lbs. (30 Nm), then tighten each bolt an additional 45-60 degree turn.
For 1990 vehicles, tighten the bolts to 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm) on automatic transaxles or to 58 ft. lbs. (78 Nm) for manual transaxles. For the 1.8L engine, do not tighten the bolts additionally over the 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm) specification.
- If applicable, install the clutch assembly.
- Install the transaxle assembly to the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
MECHANICAL FUEL PUMP | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(See Figures 1 and 2)
The mechanical fuel pump for Carbureted Spectrum vehicles is located on the engine at the side of the cylinder head intake manifold. It is driven by a camshaft lobe which contacts and ?pumps? the fuel rocker arm/lever.
- Tag and disconnect the fuel hoses from the pump assembly.
- Remove the retaining bolts from the fuel pump and heat insulator assembly.
- Remove the fuel pump from the engine.
- Cover the fuel pump mounting face on the cylinder head to prevent discharge of oil and to prevent the entry of dirt or contaminants.
- Clean the cylinder head and fuel pump mating surfaces.
- Attach the fuel pump, along with the new heat insulator assembly, to the cylinder head. Depending on camshaft position, it may be difficult to install the pump.
Make sure the pump rocker arm is properly in contact with the camshaft or camshaft driver.
- Hold the pump in position, then install and tighten the retaining bolts.
- Connect the fuel hoses to the pump assembly.
- Start the engine and carefully check for leakage and proper operation.
(See Figures 3,4,5 and 6)
If a fuel pump problem is suspected, the fuel pump must be removed from the engine for testing.
- Make a visual inspection of the pump casing for cracks and other damage. If cracks or other visible damage are present, the pump assembly must be replaced.
- Check for excessive wear between the rocker arm and the camshaft contact faces. The pump must be replaced, if excessive wear is found.
Subject: 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993 Chevrolet Spectrum, Geo Storm service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0801984254 | ISBN-13: 9780801984259 | Chilton 28800