The 1984-1992 Yamaha FJ600, FZ600, XJ600 Radian repair manual by Haynes, covers the following sportbike models:
- Yamaha FJ600, 1984-1985 U.S.A.
- Yamaha FZ600, 1986-1988 U.S.A.
- Yamaha YX600 Radian, 1986-1990 U.S.A.
- Yamaha XJ600, 1984-1992 U.K.
- Yamaha FZ600, 1987-1988 U.K.
The Yamaha FJ/XJ600, FZ600 and YX600 Radian are three different bikes, developed around the same engine and transmission. The FJ600 and XJ600 are sport-touring bikes; the FZ600 is a sportbike; the YX600 Radian is a standard motorcycle.
Book Excerpt: 1984-1992 Yamaha FJ600, FZ600, XJ600, YX600 Radian Repair Manual
POOR HANDLING OR STABILITY
FUEL AND EXHAUST SYSTEMS
(46) HANDLEBAR HARD TO TURN
- Steering stem locknut too tight (Chapter 5).
- Bearings damaged. Roughness can be felt as the bars are turned from side-to-side. Replace bearings and races (Chapter 5).
- Races dented or worn. Denting results from wear in only one position (e.g. straight ahead), from a collision or hitting a pothole or from dropping the machine. Replace races and bearing (Chapter 5).
- Steering stem lubrication inadequate. Causes are grease getting hard from age or being washed out by high pressure car washes. Disassemble steering head and repack bearings (Chapter 5).
- Steering stem bent. Caused by a collision, hitting a pothole or by dropping the machine. Replace damaged part. Don't try to straighten the steering stem (Chapter 5).
- Front tire air pressure too low (Chapter 1).
CARBURETORS | FLOAT HEIGHT AND FUEL LEVEL ADJUSTMENT
FLOAT HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT
(Refer to illustration 9.1)
FUEL LEVEL ADJUSTMENT
- To check the float height, hold the carburetor so the float hangs down, then tilt it back until the valve needle is just seated (the small rod in the end of the needle valve shouldn't be compressed).
Measure the distance from the carburetor body (without the float chamber gasket) to the top of the float (see illustration) and compare your measurement to the float height listed in this Chapter's Specifications.
If it isn't as specified, carefully bend the tang that contacts the valve needle up or down until the float height is correct.
(Refer to illustration 9.4)
- Install the carburetor assembly (see Section 6) and check the fuel level.
- Place the bike on its centerstand (if equipped) or support it securely upright. Place a floor jack under the engine and raise it just enough so the carburetors are horizontal.
- Attach Yamaha service tool no. YM-01312 (US) or 90890-01312 (UK) to the drain fitting on the bottom of one othe carburetor float chambers (all four will be checked).
Subject: 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 Yamaha FJ600, FZ600, YX600 Radian service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563921006 | ISBN-13: 9781563921001 | Haynes 2100