This DIY repair manual by Haynes, covers 1984-1992 Toyota Corolla front-wheel drive models.
Note: This manual does not include diesel engine or 4WD information.
Book Excerpt: 1984-1992 Toyota Corolla Repair Manual
GENERAL ENGINE OVERHAUL PROCEDURES
REAR MAIN OIL SEAL | INSTALLATION
(Refer to illustrations 23.3 and 23.6)
- The crankshaft must be installed first and the main bearing caps bolted in place, then the new seal should be installed in the retainer and the retainer bolts to the block.
- Check the seal contact surface on the crankshaft very carefully for scratches and nicks that could damage the new seal lip and cause oil leaks. If the crankshaft is damaged, the only alternative is a new or different crankshaft.
- The old seal can be removed from the retainer by driving it out from the back side with a hammer and punch (see illustration).
Be sure to note how far it's recessed into the bore before removing it; the new seal will have to be recessed an equal amount.
Be very careful not to scratch or otherwise damage the bore in the retainer or oil leaks could develop.
- Make sure the retainer is clean, then apply a thin coat of engine oil to the outer edge of the new seal. The seal must be pressed squarely into the bore, so hammering it into place isn't recommended.
If you don't have access to a press, sandwich the retainer and seal between two smooth pieces of wood and press the seal into place with the jaws of a large vise.
The pieces of wood must be thick enough to distribute the force evenly around the entire circumference of the seal. Work slowly and make sure the seal enters the bore squarely.
- As a last resort, the seal can be tapped into the retainer with a hammer. Use a block of wood to distribute the force evenly and make sure the seal is driven in squarely.
- The seal lips must be lubricated with clean engine oil or multi-purpose grease before the seal/retainer is slipped over the crankshaft and bolted to the block.
Use a new gasket - and sealant - and make sure the dowel pins are in place before installing the retainer (see illustration).
- Tighten the bolts a little at a time until they're all at the torque listed in this Chapter's Specifications.
RADIATOR GRILLE | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(Refer to illustration 17.2a and 17.2b)
- On early models, the grille extends beyond the parking-turn signal lights. Remove the parking-turn signal light assemblies.
- Disengage the grille retaining clips. Squeeze expansion-type retainers with a pair of needle nose pliers. Lift tab-type retainers out of their slots with a screwdriver (see illustrations). Some models use one or more screws in addition to clips.
- Once all of the retaining clips or screws are disengaged, pull the grille out and remove it.
- To install the grille, press it into place until the clips lock in position. Caution: Don't use force. If the clips won't engage readily, use pliers or a screwdriver to ease them into their locked positions. Install the screws (if used).
Subject: 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 Toyota Corolla service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563920646 | ISBN-13: 9781563920646 | Haynes 92035