The Ford Tractor Repair Manual Models 5640, 6640, 7740, 7840, 8240, 8340 covers tractor models indicated.
Note: this tractor repair manual includes wiring diagrams for all models.
Book Excerpt: Ford Tractor Repair Manual Models 5640, 6640, 7740, 7840, 8240, 8340
ALTERNATOR AND REGULATOR (ALL MODELS)
A large number of electrical components can be damaged very quickly using improper procedures and certain alternator components can be damaged by procedures that would not affect a D.C. generator. Observe the following to prevent unnecessary damage.
- Be sure that negative post of all batteries is grounded. This precaution should also be observed when connecting booster battery and charger.
- Never short across any alternator terminal.
- Never attempt to "polarize" alternator.
- Always disconnect all battery ground connections before removing or replacing any electrical unit.
- Never operate an alternator with an open circuit. Be sure that all leads are connected and tightened before starting the engine. Also, be sure that battery cables are not corroded or otherwise damaged leaving an open connection when engine is running.
RandR AND OVERHAUL
TABLE of CONTENTS:
The clutch can be unbolted from the flywheel and removed after tractor is split as outlined in paragraph 123. Loosen cap screws attaching pressure plate (5-Fig. 135) to flywheel gradually and diagonally across clutch to prevent distortion of pressure plate. Remove pressure plate and clutch disc (3) from flywheel.
Renew clutch disc if linings are loose, excessively worn, contaminated with oil or if there are signs of overheating due to clutch slippage. If there is evidence of oil or grease on clutch slippage, inspect engine and transmission oil seals for leakage and repair as needed before installing new clutch. On models with hydraulically actuated clutch linkage, the clutch release bearing slave cylinder is also a possible source of oil leakage.
- Detailed illustrations and exploded views
- Troubleshooting sections covering most models
- Cooling system
- Electrical system
- Final drive
- Condensed service data information
- Detailed index
- Accurate information in a concise, easy-to-use format
- Durable, coated paper stands up to messy shop jobs
Subject: Ford farm tractor service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0872885909 | ISBN-13: 9780872885905