The 1976-1984 Yamaha YZ100-YZ490 motocross bike repair manual by Clymer, covers the following models:
Book Excerpt: 1976-1984 Yamaha YZ100, YZ125, YZ175, YZ250, YZ400, YZ465, YZ490 Monoshock Repair Manual
- Yamaha YZ100, 1976-1983
- Yamaha YZ125, 1976-1984
- Yamaha YZ175, 1976
- Yamaha YZ250, 1976-1984
- Yamaha YZ400, 1976-1979
- Yamaha YZ465, 1980-1981
- Yamaha YZ490, 1982-1984
FRONT SUSPENSION AND STEERING
This chapter describes repair and maintenance on the front wheel, forks and steering components.
FRONT WHEEL: REMOVAL/INSTALLATION
All models are equipped with dampened telescopic forks. The dampening rate can be changed by the viscosity of the fork oil and the spring rate can be changed by replacing the original springs with 2 different sets of factory springs that are available for most forks in the Yamaha YZ Series.
One additional variable is the addition of air pressure forks on some models. The combinations of all these will permit you to choose the precise suspension feel for the conditions of the track for that day's race.
Front fork air pressure procedure and fork oil change is covered in Chapter Three.
Refer to Table 1 for torque specifications on the front suspension. Tables 1 and 2 are at the end of the chapter.
- Place a milk crate or wood block(s) under the frame to support it securely with the front wheel off the ground.
- Slacken the brake cable at the hand lever (Fig. 1).
- Slacken the brake cable at the brake plate (A, Fig. 2) and remove the cable end (B, Fig. 2) from the brake arm.
- Remove the cotter pin and axle nut (C, Fig. 2).
- On models so equipped, loosen the front axle pinch bolt(s). See Figure 3.
Subject: 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984 Yamaha YZ100, YZ125, YZ175, YZ250, YZ400, YZ465, YZ490 Monoshock Repair service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0892873299 | ISBN-13: 9780892873296 | Clymer M413