The 1976-1981 Yamaha XT500, TT500 repair manual by Clymer, covers motorcycle models indicated.
Clear and easy-to-follow text gives complete information on maintenance, tune-up, repair and overhaul. Plus hundreds of photos, drawings and diagrams guide you through every step.
This manual includes all you will need to know to keep your Yamaha XT500 or TT500 running right. Throughout this book where differences occur among the models, they are clearly identified.
Book Excerpt: 1976-1981 Yamaha XT500, TT500 Repair Manual
The fuel tank should be removed and cleaned each time the carburetor and fuel valve are cleaned, or when fuel delivery problems indicate that the tank may be dirty or contain moisture.
- Turn the fuel valve off and disconnect the line at the carburetor. Remove the filler cap. Turn the fuel valve to RES and drain the fuel into a safe, sealable container.
- Unscrew the 2 seat bolts (Figure 26) and remove the seat.
- Unscrew the fuel valve from the tank and clean it as described above.
- Unscrew the fuel tank mounting bolts (Figures 27 and 28), and remove the tank.
- Reverse the above to install the tank and assemble the fuel delivery system. After partially filling the tank with fresh fuel, check for and correct any leaks.
Flush the tank with fresh fuel. Slosh the fuel around for a couple of minutes to loosen scale or dirt. Then drain it into a safe, sealable container. Dry the tank with compressed air.
Service to the exhaust system involves cleaning the spark arrester and replacement of damaged or deteriorated components.
SPARK ARRESTER CLEANING
- Unscrew the lockbolt from the spark arrester cap and remove the cap (Figure 29) and the arrester element.
- Clean the element in solvent and shake out the carbon particles that have become trapped. Dry the unit with compressed air.
- Install the arrester element and the cap and tighten the bolt securely.
New electrical system specifications are found in Table 4.
CHARGING CIRCUIT (XT MODELS)
The charging circuit for all 1978 and later XT models is shown in Figure 53.
- Remove the left-hand side cover.
- Connect a voltmeter to the battery terminals (Figure 54) following the manufacturer?s instructions.
- Start the engine. Next accelerate the engine to approximately 2,000 rpm and read the voltmeter. It should be 6.9-7.5 volts.
CAUTION! Do not disconnect the battery terminals leads when performing Step 3 or anytime the engine is running. An increase in voltage across the magneto terminals will destroy the stator assembly.
- If the voltage tested incorrectly in Step 3, perform the Magneto Coil Testing procedures in this section of the supplement.
- When test procedures are complete and the system is working correctly, remove all test equipment and install all parts previously removed.
Subject: 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 Yamaha XT500, TT500 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0892872403 | ISBN-13: 9780892872404 | Clymer M405