This DIY repair and service manual by Chilton covers 1988-1997 Toyota Corolla cars, U.S. and Canadian models.
Book Excerpt: 1988-1997 Toyota Corolla Repair Manual
ENGINE AND ENGINE OVERHAUL
EXHAUST MANIFOLD | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
4A-GE ENGINE (See Figures 40, 41, 42, 43 and 44)
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Raise the vehicle and support safely. Remove the right gravel shield from under the vehicle.
- Remove the front exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold.
- Remove the four bolts and two nuts retaining the upper heat insulator. Pull the upper insulator off the vehicle.
- Remove the three bolts retaining the left and right manifold stays.
- Remove the manifold retaining nuts and bolts. Remove the exhaust manifold from the vehicle, discard the old gasket.
- Remove the bolts retaining the lower insulator to the manifold.
- Clean the gasket mating surfaces, being careful not to damage them. Check the mating surfaces for warpage with a straightedge. The specification for maximum warpage on the exhaust manifold in 0.0118 in. (0.30mm). If warpage is greater than maximum, replace the manifold.
- Attach the lower heat insulator to the exhaust manifold.
- Match the old gasket with the new one for an exact match. Use a new gasket when installing the manifold and tighten the bolts and nuts (in steps) from the center outward to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Install the remaining components and tighten left and right exhaust manifold stay bolts to 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).
- Connect the front pipe to the exhaust manifold using new gaskets.
- Start the engine and check for exhaust leaks.
INSTRUMENTS AND SWITCHES
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER (COMBINATION METER) | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
CAUTION! To avoid personal injury and accidental deployment of the air bag, work must be started after about 90 seconds or longer from the time the ignition switch is turned to the LOCK position and the battery cable is disconnected from the battery.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the steering column covers. Removing the steering wheel is not required, but may make the job easier. If the steering wheel is to be removed refer to Section 8.
Note: be careful not to damage the collapsible steering column mechanism.
- Remove the cluster finish panel.
- Remove the combination meter attaching screws and pull the unit forward. Light maneuvering may be required to pull it from the dash.
- Disconnect the speedometer and any other electrical connections that are necessary.
- Remove the instruments from the combination meter as required.
- Any blown combination meter bulbs can be replaced once the unit is removed. Simply twist the socket and pull.
Subject: 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 Toyota Corolla service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0801988276 | ISBN-13: 9780801988271 | Chilton 68302