The Haynes 92037 - Toyota Corolla Repair and Service Manual provides DIY service instruction and procedures for 2003-2013 Toyota Corolla four-door sedans, with a 1.8L transversely-mounted inline four-cylinder engine, equipped with fuel injection, connected to either a 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transaxle.
Note: this manual does not include info specific to XRS models.
A Haynes manual contains detailed procedures and instructions for all subsystems of the Toyota Corolla - refer to the Table Of Contents tab for details. Most repair and service procedures include close up photos of the task to help you understand exactly what needs to be done. The DIY instruction in a Haynes manual is based on a complete teardown and rebuild of the specific car in reference.
Book Excerpt: 2003-2013 Toyota Corolla Repair Manual
PISTON RING INSTALLATION
(Refer to illustrations 9.13, 9.14, 9.15, 9.19a, 9.19b and 9.22)
- Before installing the new piston rings, the ring end gaps must be checked. It's assumed that the piston ring side clearance has been checked and verified correct.
Note: Pistons and rods can only be installed after the crankshaft has been installed (see Section 10).
- Lay out the piston/connecting rod assemblies and the new ring sets so the ring sets will be matched with the same piston and cylinder during the end gap measurement and engine assembly.
- Insert the top (number one) ring into the first cylinder and square it up with the cylinder walls by pushing it in with the top of the piston (see illustration).
The ring should be near the bottom of the cylinder, at the lower limit of ring travel.
- To measure the end gap, slip feeler gauges between the ends of the ring until a gauge equal to the gap width is found (see illustration).
The feeler gauge should slide between the ring ends with a slight amount of drag. Check with an automotive machine shop for the correct end gap for your engine.
If the gap is larger or smaller than specified, double-check to make sure you have the correct rings before proceeding.
- If the gap is too small, it must be enlarged or the ring ends may come in contact with each other during engine operation, which can cause serious damage to the engine.
The end gap can be increased by filing the ring ends very carefully with a fine file. Mount the file in a vise equipped with soft jaws, slip the ring over the file with the ends contacting the file face and slowly move the ring to remove material from the ends.
When performing this operation, file only by pushing the ring from the outside end of the file towards the vise (see illustration).
Subject: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Toyota Corolla 1.8L DOHC service, maintenance, and repair procedures. ISBN-10: 1620922495 | ISBN-13: 9781620922491 | Haynes 92037