The 1996-2002 Suzuki RM250 motocross bike repair manual by Clymer, covers the following models:
Book Excerpt: 1996-2002 Suzuki RM250 Repair Manual
- Suzuki RM250T
- Suzuki RM250V
- Suzuki RM250W
- Suzuki RM250X
- Suzuki RM250Y
- Suzuki RM250K1
- Suzuki RM250K2
CLUTCH AND GEARSHIFT LINKAGE
Inspect the components of the kickstarter assembly and replace parts that are worn, damaged or fatigued.
- Inspect the springs (Figure 70) for wear or fatigue. Check the return spring at both bends in the spring. Inspect the spring guide for damage. Check the fit of the spring end in the guide.
- Inspect the kickgear and starter ratchet as follows:
- Inspect the ratchet teeth (A, Figure 71) on the gear and ratchet. When the two parts are mated, the ratchet teeth must smoothly slip in one direction and positively lock in the other direction.
- Inspect the splines/bore (B, Figure 71) in the parts. The splines must be straight and the bore must not be scored or damaged.
- Inspect the gear teeth (C, Figure 71) for breakage or scoring.
- Inspect the fit of the gear and ratchet at their positions on the shaft. The parts should have minimal radial play. The gear should turn freely on the shaft.
BEARING AND SEALS: INSPECTION AND REPLACEMENT
A needle bearing and seals are located in the upper mounting bore of the shock absorber (Figure 18). In the following procedure, the replacement bearing and seal kit for 1996-2000 models is shown. The kit (Figure 17) is manufactured by Pivot Works.
- A. For 1996-2000 models, remove the seals from the bearing bores (Figure 19). Note the seal side that faces out.
- B. For 2001-2002 models, remove the left and right spacers, then remove the seals from the bearing bores. Note the seals side that faces out. Insert the spacers into the bearing after the seals are removed.
- Pivot the bearing by hand and check for smooth operation. If the bearing is in good condition, proceed to Step 6. If roughness or play is detected, replace the bearing as described in the following step.
Subject: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 Suzuki RM250 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0892878061 | ISBN-13: 9780892878062 | Clymer M401