The 2000-2003 Suzuki GSXR600, GSXR750, GSXR1000 sportbike repair manual by Haynes covers the following models:
Book Excerpt: Suzuki GSXR600 2001-2003, GSXR750 2000-2003, GSXR1000 2001-2002 Repair Manual
- Suzuki GSXR600-K1, 2001
- Suzuki GSXR600-K2, 2002
- Suzuki GSXR600-K3, 2003
- Suzuki GSXR750-Y, 2000
- Suzuki GSXR750-K1, 2001
- Suzuki GSXR750-K2, 2002
- Suzuki GSXR750-K3, 2003
- Suzuki GSXR1000-K1, 2001
- Suzuki GSXR1000-K2, 2002
ENGINE, CLUTCH AND TRANSMISSION
The engine/transmission unit is a water-cooled, four cylinder in-line design fitted transversely across the frame. The valves are operated by double overhead camshafts which are chain driven off the crankshaft.
The engine/transmission unit is constructed from aluminum alloy with the crankcase divided horizontally into three sections.
On GSX-R1000 models a balancer shaft is gear driven off the crankshaft.
The crankcase incorporates a wet sump, pressure-fed lubrication system which uses a gear-driven, dual-rotor oil pump. On GSX-R600 and GSX-R750 models a crankcase mounted oil cooler works in conjunction with the engine cooling system; on GSX-R1000 models the oil cooler is of the radiator type.
Power from the crankshaft is transferred via a wet, multi-plate type clutch to a six-speed, constant-mesh transmission unit. Final drive to the rear wheel is by chain and sprockets.
OPERATIONS REQUIRING ENGINE REMOVAL
It is necessary to remove the engine/transmission assembly from the frame to gain access to the following components.
- Cylinder head
- Cam chain, tensioner blade and guides
- Pistons/ connecting rod assemblies
- Crankshaft and bearings
- Transmission shafts
- Selector drum and forks
COOLANT RESERVOIR: REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
- The coolant reservoir is located on the inside of the fairing left-hand side panel.
- Place a suitable container underneath the reservoir, then release the clip securing the radiator overflow hose to the base of the reservoir. Detach the hose and allow the coolant to drain into the container (see illustration).
- Unscrew the reservoir mounting bolts and remove the reservoir (see illustration 3.2). Note the routing of the reservoir breather hose over the back of the engine unit.
Subject: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 Suzuki GSXR600, GSXR750, GSXR1000 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1785212737 | ISBN-13: 9781785212734 | Haynes 3986