This Chilton DIY repair and service manual, covers 2000-2004 Saturn L-Series, all US and Canadian models, with four cylinder and V6 engines, manual and automatic transmission.
Book Excerpt: 2000-2004 Saturn L-Series Repair Manual
FOUR CYLINDER ENGINE
CRANKSHAFT PULLEY AND FRONT OIL SEAL
CHASSIS ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(Refer to illustrations 10.4, 10.5 and 10.7)
- Disconnect the cable from the negative battery terminal (see Chapter 5).
- Remove the drivebelt (see Chapter 1).
- Raise the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands.
- Remove the splash shield from below the engine compartment (see illustration).
- Use a breaker bar and socket to remove the crankshaft pulley center bolt (see illustration). Discard the bolt and obtain a new one for installation. Note: It will be necessary to lock the pulley in position using a strap wrench or a large pin spanner.
Be sure to wrap a length of old drivebelt around the pulley if you are using a strap wrench.
- Slide the puller off the nose of the crankshaft. If the pulley is stuck, use a puller that bolts to the three threaded holes in the pulley hub.
Additionally, a spacer, such as a deep socket that just fit into the hole in the pulley and bears on the crankshaft, will be required to avoid damage to the crankshaft.
- Use a seal puller to remove the crankshaft front oil seal (see illustration). A screwdriver may be used instead, if the tip is wrapped with tape to avoid scratching the crankshaft.
- Clean the seal bore and check it for nicks or gouges. Also examine the area of the hub that rides in the seal for signs of abnormal wear or scoring. For many popular engines, repair sleeves are available to restore a smooth finish to the sealing surface. Check with your auto parts store.
(Refer to illustration 10.9)
- Coat the lip of the new seal with clean engine oil and drive it into the bore with a seal driver or a socket slightly smaller in diameter than the seal (see illustration). The open side of the seal faces into the engine.
- Using clean engine oil, lubricate the sealing surface of the hub. Install the crankshaft pulley/damper with a special installation tool, available at most auto parts stores. Do not use a hammer to install the pulley/damper.
Install a new center bolt and tighten it to the torque listed in this chapter?s Specifications. You MUST use a new pulley bolt.
- The remainder of the installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Reconnect the battery (see Chapter 5, Section 1).
WIPER MOTOR REPLACEMENT
(Refer to illustrations 10.6a, 10.6b, 10.8 and 10.11)
- Pry off the windshield wiper trim caps (see illustration) and remove the windshield wiper retaining nuts and washers. Mark the position of each wiper arm in relation to its shaft (see illustration), then remove the wiper arms. Store the trim caps, retaining nuts and washers in a plastic bag.
- Remove the hood seal and cowl cover (see Chapter 11).
- Disconnect the windshield wiper motor electrical connector (see illustration).
- Remove the windshield wiper motor and linkage assembly mounting bolts (see illustration 10.8).
- Remove the windshield wiper motor and linkage assembly from the cowl area.
- Pry the link arm loose from the spherical bearing on the end of the motor?s actuator arm. Then remove the three motor mounting bolts and remove the motor.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Be sure to align the marks you made on the windshield wiper arms and the wiper arm shafts.
REAR WINDOW WIPER MOTOR (STATION WAGON MODELS)
(Refer to Illustrations 10.13 and 10.15)
- Flip open the protective cover for the nut that secures the wiper arm to the wiper motor shaft, then remove the nut. Remove the washer, mark the relationship of the wiper arm to the wiper motor shaft (see illustration 10.6b) and remove the wiper arm.
- Open the liftgate and remove the liftgate trim panel (see Chapter 11).
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the rear wiper motor.
- Remove the motor mounting bolts.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
Subject: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 Saturn L-Series service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563925559 | ISBN-13: 9781563925559 | Chilton 62370