This Clymer repair manual covers 1983-1984 Honda VT500 Ascot (VT500FT), 1983-1986 Honda VT500C Shadow, and 1983-1988 Honda VT500E Euro Sport motorcycles.
Book Excerpt: 1983-1988 Honda VT500 Ascot, Shadow, Euro Sport Repair Manual
The rim of the alloy wheel is aluminum and the exterior appearance can easily be damaged. Special care must be taken with tire irons when changing a tire to avoid scratches and gouges to the outer rim surface.
Insert scraps of leather between the tire iron and the rim to protect the rim from gouges. Honda offers rim protectors (part No. 07772-0020200) for this purpose that are very handy to use.
All models are factory-equipped with tubeless tires and wheels designed specifically for use with tubeless tires.
WARNING: Do not install tubeless tires on wheels designed for use only with tube-type tires. Personal injury and tire failure may result from rapid tire deflation while riding. Wheels for use with tubeless tires are so marked (Figure 20).
- Remove the valve core to deflate the tire.
- Press the entire bead on both sides of the tire into the center of the rim. Lubricate the beads with soapy water.
- Insert the tire iron under the bead next to the valve (Figure 21). Force the bead on the opposite side of the tire into the center of the rim and pry the bead over the rim with the tire iron.
- Insert a second tire iron next to the first to hold the bead over the rim. Then work around the tire with the first tire iron, prying the bead over the rim (Figure 22).
- Stand the tire upright. Insert the tire iron between the second bead and the side of the rim that the first bead was pried over (Figure 23).
Force the bead on the opposite side from the tire iron into the center of the rim. Pry the second bead off the rim, working around as with the first.
- Honda recommends that the tire valve stem be replaced whenever the tire is removed from the wheel.
Subject: 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988 Honda VT500 Ascot, Shadow, Euro Sport service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0892876328 | ISBN-13: 9780892876327 | Clymer M344