This Haynes 2318 repair manual covers 1993-2014 Honda TRX300-450 Chain-Driven ATVs, including:
- Honda TRX300EX, 282cc 1993-2014
- Honda TRX400EX, 397cc 1999-2014
- Honda TRX400X, 397cc 2009-2014
- Honda TRX450X, 449cc 2004-2014
- Honda TRX450R, 449cc 2004-2014
- Honda TRX450ER, 449cc 2006-2014
Refer to the Specifications Tab to view a sample page from this manual.
In this Haynes 2318 repair manual, you will find comprehensive repair procedures for all systems and components on your Honda TRX ATV. The Haynes authors, photographers and technicians base the procedures, photos and diagrams on a complete teardown and rebuild of the TRX. You can be sure that this manual will prepare you for any job you need to tackle. From simple maintenance/service jobs to a complex and complete engine rebuild, this manual will prove to be the best tool in your toolbox.
Book Excerpt: 1993-2014 Honda TRX300EX, TRX400EX, TRX450R, TRX450ER ATV Repair Manual
TROUBLESHOOTING: POOR HANDLING OR STABILITY
42 | HANDLEBAR HARD TO TURN
TUNE-UP AND ROUTINE MAINTENANCE
- Steering shaft nut too tight (Chapter 5).
- Lower bearing or upper bushing damaged. Roughness can be felt as the bars are turned from side-to-side. Replace bearing and bushing (Chapter 5).
- Steering shaft bearing lubrication inadequate. Causes are grease getting hard from age or being washed out by high pressure car washes. Remove steering shaft and replace bearing (Chapter5).
- Steering shaft bent. Caused by a collision, hitting a pothole or by rolling the machine. Replace damaged part. Don't try to straighten the steering shaft (Chapter 5).
- Front tire air pressure too low (Chapter 1).
16 | SPARK PLUG - INSPECTION, CLEANING AND GAPPING
Refer to illustrations 16.1a, 16.1b, 16.5a and 16.5b
- Twist the spark plug cap (see illustration) to break it free from the plug, then pull it off. If available, use compressed air to blow any accumulated debris from around the spark plug. Remove the plug with a spark plug socket (see illustration).
- Inspect the electrodes for wear. Both the center and side electrodes should have square edges and the side electrode should be of uniform thickness.
Look for excessive deposits and evidence of a cracked or chipped insulator around the center electrode.
Compare your spark plugs to the color spark plug reading chart on the inside back cover of this manual.
Check the threads, the washer and the ceramic insulator body for cracks and other damage.
- If the electrodes are not excessively worn, and if the deposits can be easily removed with a wire brush, the plug can be regapped and reused (if no cracks or chips are visable in the insulator).
If in doubt concerning the condition of the plug, replace it with a new one, as the expense in minimal.
- Cleaning the spark plug by sandblasting is permitted, provided you clean the plug with a high flash-point solvent afterwards.
The Haynes 2318 repair manual provides step-by-step instructions with complimentary photos, diagrams and exploded views to help you tackle any repair job that you can think of on your Honda TRX ATV.
Subject: 1993, 1994,1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 Honda TRX300EX, TRX400EX, TRX450R, TRX450ER (chain-drive) service, maintenance, and repair DIY procedures.
ISBN-10: 1620921103 | ISBN-13: 9781563926112 | Haynes 2318