This do-it-yourself service, repair and maintenance manual by Haynes, covers 1984-1994 Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz cars, with gasoline engines.
Note: this manual DOES NOT include diesel or four-wheel drive information.
Book Excerpt: 1984-1994 Ford Tempo, Mercury Topaz Repair and Service Manual
FUEL AND EXHAUST SYSTEMS
ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP (FUEL INJECTED VEHICLES)
AIR CLEANER HOUSING | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
- Relieve the fuel system pressure (refer to Section 2).
- Remove the fuel tank (refer to Section 5).
- Using a brass punch or wooden dowel only, tap the lock ring counterclockwise until it's loose (see illustration).
- Carefully pull the fuel pump/sending unit assembly from the tank.
- Remove the old lock ring gasket and discard it.
- If you're planning to reinstall the original fuel pump/sending unit, remove the strainer by prying it off with a screwdriver (see illustration), wash it in clean solvent, and then push it back onto the metal pipe on the end of the pump. If you're installing a new pump/sending unit, the assembly will include a new strainer.
- Clean the fuel pump mounting flange and the tank mounting surface and seal ring groove.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Apply a thin coat of heavy grease to the new lock ring gasket to hold it in place during assembly.
(Refer to illustrations 8.4, 8.7 and 8.8)
CARBURETED AND CFI ENGINES
- Open and secure the hood.
- Disconnect the cable from the negative terminal of the battery.
- Detach the PCV hose from the elbow fitting on the right rear lower corner of the air cleaner housing.
- Label the vacuum hoses and fittings, and then detach the hoses from the air cleaner housing cover (see illustration).
- Remove the screws (see illustration 8.4) and detach the cover.
- Note how it's installed (flutes facing down), and then remove the air filter.
- Depress the tang (see illustration) that secures the fresh air duct to the air cleaner housing and detach the duct from the housing by pulling it forward.
- Remove the hairpin clip that retains the thermactor hose to the right side of the housing (see illustration).
- Remove the two housing bolts (see illustration 8.8).
- Raise the air cleaner housing and detach the pre-heat tube (the bellows-like duct that attaches to the rear side of the housing) and the vacuum hose attached to the temperature sensor for the vacuum motor (for further information on the motor and the sensor (refer to Chapter 6).
- Remove the air cleaner housing.
- If you're planning to replace the housing, you'll have to remove both the vacuum motor and the temperature sensor and install them on the new housing. Refer to Chapter 6 for this procedure.
Subject: 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989,1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994 Ford Tempo, Mercury Topaz service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563921286 | ISBN-13: 9781563921285 | Haynes 36078