This DIY repair and service manual by Haynes, covers 2000-2011 Ford Focus, all models.
This book covers 2-door, 3-door, 4-door, 5-door and station wagon Focus body styles, powered by 2.0 and 2.3L transversely-mounted four-cylinder engines.
Note: This manual does not include information specific to SVT and rear disc brake models.
STARTING AND CHARGING SYSTEMS
ALTERNATOR | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the cable from the negative terminal of the battery (see Section 1).
2.0L ZETEC-E ENGINES (Refer to illustrations 5.2, 5.3a, 5.3b, 5.4a, 5.4b, 5.5, 5.7a, 5.7b and 5.8)
- Remove the securing bolt from the coolant expansion tank, lift out from securing clip and move to one side (see Chapter 3, Section 7). Remove the drivebelt (see Chapter 1). Lift the power steering reservoir from its retaining bracket and move to one side (see illustration).
- Unscrew the securing bolt from the wiring loom bracket, and move the wiring to one side (disconnect the multi-plug)(see illustrations).
- Remove the bolt from the power steering reservoir bracket to release the ground cable (to aid the removal of the alternator, carefully bend the ground bracket down)(see illustrations).
On 2003 and 2004 Zetec-E and Duratec (SVT) engines, remove the three bolts from the front engine mount and with a wood 2 x 4 pry the engine forward (toward the radiator) and reinsert one bolt behind the mount to keep the engine from going back to its normal position.
- Remove the two retaining bolts from the canister purge valve and move to one side (see illustration).
- Remove the plastic cover, unscrew the nut and disconnect the wiring from the back of the alternator. Disconnect the cylinder head temperature sensor electrical connector.
- Unscrew and remove the alternator mounting bolt nearest the engine (see illustration). Unscrew the other retaining bolt until it has fully disengaged from the bracket. It will not be possible to remove the bolt from the alternator at this stage (see illustration).
- Carefully lift the alternator from the engine, turning it with the pulley facing upwards. Take care not to damage the surrounding components on removal, as there is little room to maneuver the alternator (see illustration).
- Remove the cooling fan and shroud (see Chapter 3).
Subject: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Ford Focus service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 162092000X | ISBN-13: 9781620920008 | Haynes 36034