The Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis Repair Manual 1988-2011 by Haynes covers models indicated.
Note: this manual DOES NOT include Mercury Marauder, 5.8L V8 engine, or natural-gas-fueled vehicles.
Book Excerpt: 1988-2011 Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis Repair Manual
ENGINE REBUILDING ALTERNATIVES
The do-it-yourselfer is faced with a number of options when performing an engine overhaul.
SOME OF THE REBUILDING ALTERNATIVES INCLUDE:
The decision to replace the engine block, piston/connecting rod assemblies and crankshaft depends on a number of factors, with the number one consideration being the condition of the block.
Other considerations are cost, access to machine shop facilities, parts availability, time required to complete the project and the extent of prior mechanical experience on the part of the do-it-yourselfer.
Individual parts ? If the inspection procedures reveal that the engine block and most engine components are in reusable condition, purchasing individual parts may be the most economical alternative.
SPEEDOMETER CABLE: REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
The block, crankshaft and piston/connecting rod assemblies should all be inspected carefully. Even if the block shows little wear, the cylinder bores should be surfaced honed.
Crankshaft kit ? The rebuild package consists of a reground crankshaft and a matched set of pistons and connecting rods. The pistons will already be installed on the connecting rods.
Piston rings and the necessary bearings will be included in the kit. These kits are commonly available for standard cylinder bores, as well as for engine blocks which have been bored to a regular oversize.
Note: On later models, the speedometer is electric, with a signal provided by the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). On these models there is no mechanical speedometer cable.
WARNING: Some models have airbags. Always disconnect the negative battery cable and wait 2 minutes before working in the vicinity of the impact sensors, steering column or instrument panel to avoid the possibility of accidental deployment of the airbag, which could cause personal injury (see Section 27).
- Disconnect the cable from the negative battery terminal.
- Disconnect the speedometer cable from the transmission or cruise control adapter.
- Detach the cable from the routing clips in the engine compartment and pull the cable up to provide enough slack to allow disconnection from the speedometer.
- Remove the instrument cluster screws, pull the cluster out, then reach behind it and disconnect the speedometer cable from the back of the cluster by pressing on the cable release clip.
- Remove the cable from the vehicle.
- Prior to installation, press a 3/16-inch ball of silicone or equivalent lubricant into the speedometer opening.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
Subject: 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1620921952 | ISBN-13: 9781620921951 | Haynes 36012