Turn your garage into a DIY haven with the help of this 1998-2004 Chrysler repair manual by Haynes. This unique guide offers a comprehensive look at a number of popular models from recent decades, including:
- Chrysler LHS
- Chrysler Concorde
- Chrysler 300M
- Dodge Intrepid
This isn't your standard owner's manual by any means. Instead, it's a must-have resource for car owners who want to take maintenance and repairs into their own hands. Even those with very little car maintenance experience will find the tutorials and diagrams in this manual easy to use and to understand. Hundreds of close-up photos and illustrations help to make it easy to complete each step of any project, whether it's just a regular tune-up or a major engine overhaul. While it's aimed at at-home DIY enthusiasts, this guide is so comprehensive that it's helpful even for seasoned mechanics. Pick up a copy to start getting to know your Chrysler or Dodge like the back of your hand and keeping it in great condition for years to come.
Book Excerpt: 1998-2004 Chrysler LHS, Concorde, 300M, Dodge Intrepid Repair Manual
ENGINE ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS
ALTERNATOR | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(Refer to illustrations 10.4a, 10.4b, 10.5 and 10.6)
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the alternator drive belt (see Chapter 1).
- Loosen the tensioner pulley, and then detach the alternator drive belt (see Chapter 1).
- On 3.2/3.5L models, remove the alternator brace.
- On 2.7L models, raise the vehicle, support it securely on jackstands and perform the following (see illustrations):
- Remove the plastic splash shield from under the front of the engine.
- Detach the power steering fluid cooler and position the cooler aside.
- Remove the lower radiator support crossmember. Support the radiator with a jack stand.
- Disconnect the output wire and the field terminal connector from the alternator (see illustration).
- Remove the mounting bolts and remove the alternator from the engine (see illustration).
- If you are replacing the alternator, take the old one with you when purchasing a replacement unit. Make sure the new/rebuilt unit looks identical to the old alternator. Look at the terminals - they should be the same in number, size and location as the terminals on the old alternator.
Finally, look at the identification numbers - they will be stamped into the housing or printed on a tag attached to the housing. Make sure the numbers are the same on both alternators.
DOOR TRIM PANELS | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(Refer to illustrations 15.3, 15.5a, 15.5b and 15.6)
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the remote ground terminal (see Chapter 5).
- Remove the main speaker grille by prying it out with a plastic or wooden trim tool, then remove the small upper speaker, if equipped (see Chapter 12).
- Remove the screws retaining the door panel to the door (see illustration). Note: Remove the plastic screw covers in the door pull pocket and the inside door handle pocket to expose the screws there.
- Using a trim tool, pry along the rear edge of the door panel to disengage the clips.
- Grasp the trim panel and pull up sharply to detach it from the door. Disconnect the inner door handle lock rod from the handle (see illustration). Unplug any electrical connectors and remove the door panel (see illustration).
- If other procedures are to be done inside the door, such as glass or regulator replacement, carefully peel back the plastic watershield on the door for access (see illustration).
The watershield is reusable if not torn. Note: Some models are equipped with an inner door trim panel. Disconnect all the electrical connectors, remove the retainer clips and carefully pry the inner trim panel from the door.
- To install the panel, connect the wire harness connectors and door handle rod, and then place the panel in position in the door. Press the trim panel down into place until the clips are seated.
- Install the screws and screw covers, where used. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
Subject: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 Chrysler LHS, Concorde, 300M, Dodge Intrepid service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563927322 | ISBN-13: 9781563927324 | Haynes 25026