This DIY service, repair and maintenance manual by Haynes, covers all 1993-1997 "LH" platform models, which includes:
Book Excerpt: 1993-1997 Chrysler LHS, Concorde, New Yorker, Dodge Intrepid, Eagle Vision Repair Manual
- Chrysler LHS
- Chrysler Concorde
- Chrysler New Yorker
- Dodge Intrepid
- Eagle Vision
3.5L V6 ENGINE
VALVE SPRINGS, RETAINERS AND SEALS | REPLACEMENT
COOLING, HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEMS
(Refer to illustrations 5.5, 5.7, 5.14 and 5.17)
NOTE: Broken valve springs and defective valve stem seals can be replaced without removing the cylinder head. Two special tools and a compressed-air source are normally required to perform this operation, so read through this Section carefully and rent or buy the tools before beginning the job.
- Remove the valve covers (see Section 3).
- Remove the spark plugs (see Chapter 1).
- Rotate the crankshaft until the number one piston is at top dead center on the compression stroke (see Section 9).
- Remove the rocker arm and shaft assembly (see Section 4).
- Thread an adapter into the number 1 spark plug hole and connect an air hose from a compressed air source to it (see illustration). Most auto parts stores can supply the air hose adapter.
NOTE: Many cylinder compression gauges utilize a screw-in fitting that may work with your air hose quick-disconnect fitting, and they are usually long enough to reach through the spark plug tubes on the 3.5L engine.
- Apply compressed air to the cylinder. The valve should be held in place by the air pressure. If the valve faces or seats are in poor condition, leaks may prevent the air pressure from retaining the valves - valve reconditioning is indicated.
BLOWER MOTOR REPLACEMENT
(Refer to illustrations 9.10, 9.11a, 9.11b and 9.12)
- Disconnect the battery negative cable.
- Detach the panel underneath the right end of the dash. It has four fasteners, all of them facing up - two screws in front (side toward the passenger seat) and two sheet metal nuts on the backside (toward the firewall).
- Disconnect the wiring plug at the blower motor resistor and push the harness grommet through the blower motor cover (see illustration).
- Remove the screws holding the blower motor cover (see illustration). These screws are difficult to access without taking off the dashboard knee bolster (see Chapter 11), which is a long procedure (see illustration). There are a lot of hidden fasteners to remove.
- Remove the three screws and pull out the blower motor and fan assembly (see illustration).
- The fan is balanced with the blower motor, and is available only as an assembly. If the fan is damaged, both fan and blower motor must be replaced.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
Subject: 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 Chrysler LHS, Concorde, New Yorker, Dodge Intrepid, Eagle Vision service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563923165 | ISBN-13: 9781563923166 | Haynes 25025