This DIY Chilton repair manual, covers all US and Canadian models of 1984-1996 Chevrolet Corvette with the 5.7L V8 engine and 5-speed or 6-speed manual and automatic transmission.
Book Excerpt: 1984-1996 Chevrolet Corvette Repair Manual
(See Figure 1)
The General Motors/Delco-Remy High Energy Ignition (HEI) system is a breakerless, pulse-triggered, transistor controlled, inductive discharge ignition system.
It is used on 1984-91 vehicles equipped with the 5.7L (VIN 8) engine. The entire HEI system (except for the ignition coil) is contained within the distributor cap.
The distributor contains the electronic ignition module, and the magnetic pick-up assembly which contains a permanent magnet, a pole piece with internal teeth, and a pick-up coil (not to be confused with the ignition coil). The ignition coil is mounted to the top of the distributor cap.
The HEI distributor is equipped to aid in spark timing changes which is necessary to maintain emissions, economy and performance.
This is achieved by the Electronic Spark Timing (EST) control system. On these vehicles, timing changes are electronically regulated through the computer control module, which monitors information for the various engine sensors, computes the desired spark timing and signals the distributor to change the timing accordingly.
With this distributor, no vacuum or centrifugal advances are used.
FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR
REMOVAL and INSTALLATION: 5.7L (VIN 8) ENGINE
(Figures 42 and 46)
The pressure regulator and base are factory adjusted and serviced as a complete assembly only. Do not try to remove the regulator cover.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Remove the fuel rail from the vehicle, as outlined earlier in this section.
- Remove the front crossover tube attaching screw assembly and crossover tube retainer from the right hand rail side.
- Unfasten the retainer-to-base screw assembly and rear crossover tube retaining from the pressure regulator and base assembly.
- Separate the left hand fuel rail and plug assembly from the right hand fuel rail and plug assembly.
Subject: 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996 Chevrolet Corvette service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 080199103X | ISBN-13: 9780801991035 | Chilton 28502