The Chevy Chevelle, El Camino, Malibu, Laguana S-3, Monte Carlo Chilton DIY repair and service manual covers 1964-1988 Chevrolet cars, including the following models:
- Chevy Chevelle, Chevelle SS
- Chevy El Camino, El Camino SS
- Chevy Laguna S-3
- Chevy Malibu, Malibu SS
- Chevy Monte Carlo, Monte Carlo SS
Includes gasoline and diesel engines, 1964 to 1988. All U.S. and Canadian models.
A must-have manual for anyone working on one of these cars. From the most basic maintenance tasks to a complete teardown and rebuild. Ideal companion for a restoration guide and a factory assembly manual.
Book Excerpt: 1964-1988 Chevrolet Chevelle, El Camino, Malibu, Laguna S-3, Monte Carlo Repair Manual
ENGINE AND ENGINE OVERHAUL
TAILPIPE | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
IMPORTANT! Safety glasses should be worn at all times when working on or near the exhaust system. Older exhaust systems will almost always be covered with loose rust particles which will shower you when disturbed. These particles are more than a nuisance and could injure your eye.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely using jackstands.
- Spray all fasteners which are to be disconnected using a penetrating oil.
- Loosen and remove the hanger clamps from the tailpipe.
- Remove the tailpipe-to-muffler clamp.
- Disengage the tailpipe from the muffler and remove the tailpipe.
- Inspect the tailpipe hangers; replace, if necessary.
- Add sealer to the connecting surfaces.
- Engage the tailpipe to the muffler, and then loosely install the retaining clamp.
- Install the hanger clamps to the tailpipe.
- Check the clearance and tighten the attachments.
- Remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle.
- Run the engine and check for leaks, but be careful NOT to touch the hot exhaust pipes.
FUEL PUMP | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(See Figures 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11)
IMPORTANT! When you are disconnecting or connecting the fuel pump outlet fitting, always use 2 wrenches to avoid damaging the pump.
- Disconnect the fuel intake and outlet lines at the pump. Be sure to plug the pump intake line in order to prevent system contamination or excessive fuel loss.
- On small block V6 and V8 engines, remove the upper bolt from the right front mounting boss. Insert a longer bolt (3/8-16 x 2") in this hole to hold the fuel pump pushrod up and out of the way.
- Remove the two pump mounting bolts and lockwashers; and then remove the pump and its gasket from the engine.
- If the rocker arm pushrod is to be removed from equipped V6 or V8 engines, remove the two adapter bolts and lockwashers, and then remove the adapter and its gasket for access to the pushrod.
- Thoroughly clean the gasket mating surfaces of all old material or sealer.
- If removed, install the pushrod, and then install the adapter using a new gasket and secure using the retaining bolts.
- Coat the mating surfaces with a suitable sealer, and then install the fuel pump assembly using a new gasket.
NOTE: On vehicles equipped with a pushrod to actuate the fuel pump rocker arm, if a bolt was not used to secure the pushrod it may interfere with pump installation. A small screwdriver or thin plastic tool may be used to hold the pushrod up and out of the way while the fuel pump is installed. Make sure the pump rocker arm is properly located under the pushrod. Another method of retaining the pushrod is to pack it into position using grease, though this will only work on a cold engine.
- Install the fuel pump to the engine using a new gasket.
- Install and tighten the pump retaining bolts.
The Chilton 28440 Chevy Mid-Size Cars 1964-1988 Repair Manual is a well respected and desirable guide for the DIY or professional mechanic. It is loaded with step-by-step instructions with photos and illustrations to enhance the overall understanding of the repair procedures.
Subject: 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988 Chevrolet Chevelle, El Camino, Malibu, Laguna S-3, Monte Carlo service, maintenance, and repair.
ISBN-10: 0801985943 | ISBN-13: 9780801985942 | Chilton 28440