The 1977-1983 Yamaha DT/MX Series Singles off-road bike repair manual by Clymer, covers the following dirtbike models:
Book Excerpt: 1977-1983 Yamaha DT100, DT125, DT175, DT250, DT400, MX100, MX175 Repair Manual
- Yamaha DT100, 1977-1983
- Yamaha DT125, 1978-1981
- Yamaha DT175, 1978-1981
- Yamaha DT250, 1977-1979
- Yamaha DT400, 1977-1978
- Yamaha MX100, 1979-1983
- Yamaha MX175, 1979-1981
PREPARING BIKE FOR STORAGE
Careful preparation will minimize deterioration and make it easier to restore the bike to service later. Use the following procedure.
- Wash the bike completely. Make certain to remove all dirt in all the hard-to-reach parts like the cooling fins on the head and cylinder.
Completely dry all parts of the bike to remove all moisture. Wax all painted and polished surfaces, including any chromed areas.
- Run the bike for about 20-30 minutes to warm up the oil in the clutch and transmission. Drain the oil, regardless of the time since the last oil change. Refill with the normal quantity and type of oil.
- Drain all gasoline from the fuel tank, the interconnecting hose and the carburetor. Leave the fuel shutoff valve in the ON position.
As an alternative, a fuel preservative may be added to the fuel. This preservative is available from many motorcycle shops and marine equipment suppliers.
- Lubricate the drive chain and control cables: refer to specific procedures in this chapter.
- Remove the spark plug and add about one teaspoon of SAE 10W/30 motor oil to the cylinder.
Reinstall the spark plug and without starting the engine turn the engine over to distribute the oil to the cylinder walls and piston.
Depress the engine kill switch to prevent it from starting during this procedure.
Every rider will eventually experience trouble with a tire or tube. Repairs and replacement are fairly simple and every rider should know the techniques.
TIRE REPAIR KITS
Patching a motorcycle tube is only a temporary fix. The tire flexes too much and the patch could rub right off. However, a patched tire will get you far enough to buy a new tube.
Tire repair kits can be purchased from motorcycle dealers and some auto supply stores. When buying, specify that the kit you want is for motorcycles.
TABLE of CONTENTS:
There are 2 types of tire repair kits:
Hot patches are stronger because they actually vulcanize to the tube, becoming part of it. However, they are far too bulky to carry for roadside repairs and the strength is unnecessary for a temporary repair.
- Hot patch
- Cold patch
- General Information
- Lubrication, Maintenance and Tune-up
- Clutch and External Gearshift Linkage
- Transmission and Internal Shift Mechanism
- Fuel and Emission Systems
- Exhaust System
- Electrical System
- Wheels, Tires and Drivetrain
- Front Suspension and Steering
- Rear Suspension
- Body and Frame
- Wiring Diagrams
Subject: 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983 Yamaha DT100, DT125, DT175, DT250, DT400, MX100, MX175 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0892873310 | ISBN-13: 9780892873319 | Clymer M412