The 1995-2006 Chrysler Sebring, Dodge Stratus, Avenger DIY repair manual by Haynes covers:
- Chrysler Sebring convertible, coupe and sedan, 1995-2006
- Dodge Stratus coupe and sedan, 2001-2006
- Dodge Avenger, 1995-2000
Note: this manual does not include information specific to Flexible Fuel Vehicles.
BALANCE SHAFT BELT (Refer to illustration 7.73)
- If the crankshaft sprockets were removed, degrease both sides of the crankshaft sensing blade and the crank sprockets and clean out the bolt hole in the nose of the crank with degreaser as well.
Degreasing these areas will help prevent the crankshaft sprocket bolt from loosening, which might allow the sensing blade to waver slightly, which would affect the output signal from the CKP sensor.
Be sure to install the CKP sensing blade between the inner and outer crankshaft sprockets, with its concave side facing toward the engine.
Tighten the crankshaft sprocket bolt to the torque listed in this Chapter's Specifications.
- If you remove the rear balance shaft sprocket to replace the seal, install the sprocket and tighten the sprocket retaining nut to the torque listed in this Chapter's Specifications.
- Make sure that the timing marks on the crankshaft sprocket and the balance shaft sprocket are still correctly aligned (see illustration 7.66), then install the balance shaft belt.
After installing the balance shaft belt, make sure that the tension side (the upper run) of the belt has not slack.
- Install the balance shaft belt tensioner pulley and bolt, but don't tighten the bolt completely at this time. First, make sure that the center of the tensioner pulley for the balance shaft belt is located to the left of the pulley (see illustration).
Holding up the tensioner in this position with one hand to tension the belt, tighten the tensioner pulley bolt to the torque listed in this Chapter's Specifications.
Note: After tightening the bolt, use your index finger and press firmly on the balance shaft belt. The belt should deflect about 1/4-inch.
Subject: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 Chrysler Sebring, Dodge Stratus, Avenger service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1620920018 | ISBN-13: 9781620920015 | Haynes 25040