This Chilton repair and service manual covers 1995-1998 Chrysler Cirrus and Sebring; 1995-1998 Dodge Avenger and Stratus; and 1995-1998 Plymouth Breeze automobiles, U.S. and Canadian models.
Book Excerpt: 1995-1998 Chrysler Cirrus, Sebring, Dodge Avenger, Stratus, Plymouth Breeze Repair Manual
ENGINE AND ENGINE OVERHAUL
TIMING BELT AND SPROCKETS | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
SUSPENSION AND STEERING
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the left strut tower. The ground cable is equipped with an insulator grommet, which should be placed on the stud to prevent the negative battery cable from accidentally grounding.
- Remove the drive belts and accessories.
- Remove the crankshaft damper.
- Place a support under the engine and remove the right engine mount.
- Remove the engine mount bracket.
- Remove the timing belt cover.
NOTE: Align the camshaft and crankshaft timing marks before removing the timing belt by rotating the engine with the crankshaft.
- Loosen the timing belt tensioner bolts.
- Remove the timing belt and tensioner.
- Place the tensioner into a soft jawed vise to compress the tensioner.
- If equipped with a hydraulic tensioner, after compressing the tensioner, place a pin (a 5/64 in. Allen wrench will work) into the plunger side hole to retain the plunger after installation.
If equipped with a mechanical tensioner, install an 8mm Allen wrench into the belt tensioner, then insert the long end of a 1/8 inch or 3mm Allen wrench into the pin hole on the front of the tensioner.
Rotate the tensioner counterclockwise with the 8mm wrench, while pushing in lightly on the 1/8 inch or 3mm Allen wrench until it slides into the locking hole.
- Remove the camshaft sprockets from the camshafts, if necessary, using a special camshaft sprocket holding tool.
- If removed, reinstall the camshaft sprockets onto the camshaft. Install the sprocket retaining bolt and tighten to 85 ft. lbs. (115 Nm).
- Set the crankshaft sprocket to Top Dead Center (TDC) by aligning the notch on the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing, then back off the sprocket 3 notches before TDC.
- Set the camshaft to align the timing marks.
- Move the crankshaft to « notch before TDC.
- Install the timing belt starting at the crankshaft, then around the water pump and around the camshaft last.
STRUTS | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- If equipped with an Anti-lock Brake system (ABS), remove the wheel speed sensor cable routing bracket from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the cotter pin and castle nut from the upper control arm ball stud, then, using a puller tool, separate the upper control arm ball stud from the steering knuckle. Pull the steering knuckle out a position it rearward in the front wheel opening.
- Remove the pinch bolt attaching the strut to the strut clevis.
- Remove the through-bolt attaching the clevis to the lower control arm.
- Tap the clevis with a brass drift to remove from the strut.
- Remove the 4 bolts attaching the strut to the strut tower.
- Remove the strut and upper control arm as an assembly.
Subject: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998 Chrysler Cirrus, Sebring, Dodge Avenger, Stratus, Plymouth Breeze service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0801990904 | ISBN-10: 9780801990908 | Chilton 20320