The JI Case and David Brown Repair Manual 770, 780, 870, 880, 970, 995, 1070, 1175, 1200, 1210, 1212, 1270, 1370, 1410, 1570, 300, 4600 covers the following tractors:
- J.I. Case - Gas models: 770, 870, 970
- J.I. Case and David Brown - Diesel models: 770, 780, 870, 880 (after serial # 52100)
- J.I. Case and David Brown - Diesel models: 885, 970, 980, 990 (after serial # 467870)
- J.I. Case and David Brown - Diesel models: 995, 1070, 1090, 1170, 1175, 1200, 1210, 1212, 1270, 1370, 1410, 1412, 1570, 3800, 4600.
Note: This tractor repair manual includes wiring diagrams for 770 (J.I. Case version), 870, 970, 1070, 1090, 1170, 1175, 1270, 1370 and 1570 models, only.
Book Excerpt: JI Case and David Brown Repair Manual 770, 780, 870, 880, 970, 995, 1070, 1175, 1200, 1210, 1212, 1270, 1370, 1410, 1570, 300, 4600
FUEL FILTERS AND LINES: ALL MODELS
47. The manufacturer recommends the use of a good grade no. 2 diesel fuel having a Cetane rating of 40 or better be used for normal operation.
WORK CYLINDERS AND COUPLINGS: ALL MODELS
For winter operation, Cetane rating should be 45-55 and fuel pour point should be at least 10ø F. below the lowest expected ambient temperature.
The fuel transfer pump is a constant volume, positive displacement type plunger pump which is mounted on the side of the injection pump and driven by a cam or injection pump camshaft. Refer to Fig. 45 for a schematic view of fuel system.
On all models a water trap and drain cock is located in the bottom of the main fuel tank. It is recommended that a small quantity of fuel be drained from the trap each day to prevent water accumulation.
48. FUEL FILTERS. Fuel filters are of the spin-on type (Fig. 46). Filters are available in a kit which consists of both units and both should be renewed each 500 hours , when noticeable power loss occurs, or when the fuel pressure gauge needle is in the red zone (if so equipped).
To renew the filters, first clean filter head, elements and surrounding area. Shut off fuel at the fuel tank and remove the drain plug from the bottom of 1st stage filter. Use a clamp-type filter wrench which is supplied with the tractor to remove the filters.
Remove and discard the gasket located on final filter mounting stud. Lightly oil the gaskets on new units and on mounting stud, install new units and hand tighten andfrac12; to andfrac34; turn after contacting gasket surfaces. DO NOT overtighten. Bleed the system as outlined in paragraph 50.
148. BREAKAWAY COUPLINGS. Refer to Fig. 170 for exploded view. To disassemble the coupling socket (female half), depress locking sleeve (9) and unseat locking snap ring (10), then remove locking ring, sleeve, spring (8) and the eight locking balls(6). Unscrew socket body (5) from hose (1) and remove piston (3) and spring (2).
Coupling plug (male half) can be disassembled after unscrewing plug body (11) from hose (16). A repair kit is available which provides normal service items for both halves.
Subject: JI Case and David Brown farm tractor service, maintenance, and repair instructions.
ISBN-10: 0872883655 | ISBN-13: 9780872883659