The 1978-1987 Honda XL/XR80, 100, 125, 185, 200 repair manual by Haynes covers single-cylinder, 4-Stroke enduro motorcycles, including:
- Honda XL80S U.S. only 1979-1985
- Honda XR80 U.K. 1979-1980, U.S. 1978-1984
- Honda XR80R U.S. only 1984-1987
- Honda XL100S U.K. 1978-1983, U.S. 1979-1985
- Honda XR100 U.S. only 1981-1984
- Honda XR100R U.S. only 1984-1987
- Honda XL125S U.K. 1978-1973, U.S. 1978-1982, 1984
- Honda XL125R U.K. only 1982-1987
- Honda XL185S U.K. 1987-1982, U.S. 1978-1983
- Honda XR185 U.S. only 1979
- Honda XL200R U.S. only 1982-1984
- Honda XR200 U.K. 1980, U.S. 1979-1984
- Honda XR200R U.K. 1982-1983, U.S. 1981-1983, 1986, 1987
Note: This shop manual DOES NOT cover the 199cc RFVC-engined (4-valve) XR200 R model, sold in the U.S. in 1984-1985.
Book Excerpt: 1978-1987 Honda XL/XR80, 100, 125, 185, 200 Repair Manual
ENGINE, CLUTCH AND GEARBOX
DISMANTLING THE ENGINE/GEARBOX UNIT:
THE 1981 TO 1987 MODELS
REMOVING THE CENTRIFUGAL OIL FILTER
(XL125 S, XL185 S, XR185 AND XR200 MODELS)
- When removing the filter unit with the engine in the frame, the crankcase must first be drained of oil and the kickstart lever, clutch cable and tachometer cable disconnected.
Details of disconnecting the clutch and tachometer cables from the clutch cover may be found in Section 5 of this Chapter.
The kickstart lever is removed by loosening its clamp bolt and pulling it from the shaft. It may also be found necessary to depress the rear brake lever in order to gain access to the cover retaining screw situated below the kickstart lever shaft.
If necessary, allow the lever to drop well clear of the cover by releasing the operating rod at the drum lever end and unclipping the stoplight switch spring.
On models fitted with a decompressor, remove the decompressor cable clamp from the rear of the cover and disconnect the cable end from the cam follower lever.
It may also be necessary, on some earlier models, to remove the sump guard as describe in paragraph 2 of Section 5 of this Chapter.
- It was found that the cover retaining screws were very tight and needed some force to loosen them. Ensure that the spanner leverage is obtainable on the spanner.
Loosen the screws evenly and in a diagonal sequence to avoid any risk of distortion to the cover. It is a good idea to make up a cardboard template prior to removing the screws because they are of varying lengths.
This will ensure that the screws are refitted in their correct positions in the cover and are not lost during the rest of the dismantling sequence.
- With the engine in the frame, prevent the crank shaft from turning by placing the machine in top gear and applying the crankshaft rotation is the same as that given in paragraph 7 of Section 9 of this Chapter.
- With the clutch cover removed from the engine unit, slacken and remove the three screws which secure the oil filter cover.
As the cover is lifted away, place some rags beneath the unit to catch the residual oil which will be caught inside the filter assembly.
FRONT FORKS: CHECKING THE OIL LEVEL
TABLE of CONTENTS:
- Some later models, especially those with air-assisted front forks, have a specified oil level which must be set precisely to ensure optimum fork performance.
- The level is measured from the top of the stanchion to the top of the oil when the fork top caps and springs are removed and the forks are fully compressed; a dipstick of suitable length can be made from welding rod or similar.
It is essential that the level is at exactly the correct height and that the quantity in both legs is precisely the same; add or remove oil to achieve this.
Note that the amount of fork oil in each leg is relatively unimportant; the oil level is the essential factor, as shown by the approximate amounts of fork oil specified for some models.
- Engine, clutch and transmission
- Fuel system and lubrication
- Ignition system
- Frame and forks
- Wheels, brakes and tires
- Electrical system
- Wiring diagrams
Subject: 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987 Honda XL, XR 80, 100, 125, 185, 200cc service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 185010347X | ISBN-13: 9781850103479 | Haynes 566