The 1985-2014 Honda CMX250 Rebel, CB250 Nighthawk Twins repair manual by Haynes covers:
- Honda CMX250 Rebel, 1985-1987
- Honda CMX250 Rebel, 1996-2014
- Honda CB250 Nighthawk, 1991-2008
The Honda Rebel appeared in 1985, and the Nighthawk model, which used the same engine, appeared in 1991. Honda stopped production of the 250cc Nighthawk with the 2008 model year, but the Rebel is still being produced.
Book Excerpt: 1985-2014 Honda CMX250 Rebel, CB250 Nighthawk Twins Repair Manual
ENGINE, CLUTCH AND TRANSMISSION
PRIMARY DRIVE GEAR | REMOVAL, INSPECTION, INSTALLATION
BRAKES, WHEELS AND TIRES
- Remove the right crankcase cover (see Section 19).
- Remove the oil passage spring from the crankshaft (se illustration).
- Remove the oil pump (see Section 20).
- If the clutch has been removed, temporarily reinstall the clutch housing. Wedge a copper penny or washer between the primary drive gear and the teeth on the clutch housing to keep the crankshaft from turning, then loosen the primary drive gear locknut (see illustration). Remove the penny or washer, then remove the clutch (see Section 19).
- Unscrew the primary drive gear nut and remove the oil passage pin from the crankshaft (see illustration 21.4).
- Remove the lock washer, oil pump drive gear and primary drive gear (see illustration).
- Inspect the teeth of the oil pump gear primary drive gear for wear and damage. If the teeth are worn or damaged, replace the gear.
- Install the primary drive gear with its beveled side facing out, then install the oil pump drive gear, also with its beveled side facing out (see illustration).
- Install the lock washer with its OUTSIDE marking facing away from the engine (see illustration 21.6).
- Install the oil passage pin in the crankshaft, then install the nut.
- Install the clutch housing ( see Section 19). Wedge a copper washer or penny between the teeth of the clutch housing and the primary drive gear (from the underside, this time) and tighten the nut to the torque listed in this ChapterÉ??s Specifications.
- Install the oil passage and spring in the end of the crankshaft.
- The remainder of installation is the reverse of removal.
BRAKE SYSTEM BLEEDING
- Bleeding the brake system removes all air bubbles from the brake fluid reservoirs, the lines and the brake calipers. Bleeding is necessary whenever a brake system hydraulic connection is loosened, when a component or hose is replaced, or when the master cylinder or caliper is overhauled.
Leaks in the system may also allow air to enter, but leaking brake fluid will reveal their presence and warn you of the need for repair.
- To bleed the brakes, you will need some new clean brake fluid of the recommended type (see Chapter 1), a length of clear vinyl or plastic tubing, a small container partially filled with clean brake fluid, some rags and a wrench to fit the brake caliper bleeder valves.
- Cover the fuel tank and any other painted surfaces near the reservoir to prevent damage in the event that brake fluid is spilled.
- Remove the reservoir cover screws and remove the cover, set plate and diaphragm. Slowly pump the brake lever a few times, until no air bubbles can be seen floating up from the holes in the bottom of the reservoir. Doing this bleeds the air from the master cylinder end of the line.
Top up the reservoir with new fluid, then install the reservoir diaphragm, set plate and cover, but donÉ??t tighten the screws; you may have to remove the cover, plate and diaphragm several times during the procedure.
- Remove the rubber dust cover from the bleeder valve and slip a box wrench over the caliper bleed valve (see illustration). Attach one end of the clear vinyl or plastic tubing to the bleed valve and submerge the other end in the brake fluid in the container (see illustration).
Subject: 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 Honda Rebel 250, Honda Nighthawk 250 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1620922125 | ISBN-13: 9781620922125 | Haynes 2756