Find a manual »
Ford Escape, Mazda Tribute, Mercury Mariner Repair Manual 2001-2011 by Chilton
This DIY repair and service manual by Chilton, covers 2001-2011 Ford Escape, Mazda Tribute, and Mercury Mariner SUVs, powered by 2.0L Zetec in-line four-cylinder, 2.3L in-line four-cylinder, and 3.0L Duratec V6 engines. 2WD and 4WD models.
Note: this manual DOES NOT include information specific to hybrid models.
Book Excerpt: 2001-2011 Ford Escape, Mazda Tribute, Mercury Mariner Repair Manual
OIL PAN | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
REMOVAL (Refer to illustrations 12.8a and 12.8b)
- Disconnect the cable from the negative battery terminal (see Chapter 5).
- Raise the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands.
- Drain the engine oil (see Chapter 1). Reinstall the oil drain plug and tighten it to the torque listed in the Chapter 1 Specifications, using a new gasket if necessary.
- Remove the oil filter (see Chapter 1).
- Disconnect the oxygen sensor connector(s) (see Chapter 6).
- Refer to Chapter 4 and remove the crossover and flexible exhaust pipe and converter assembly from the vehicle.
NOTE: V6 engines are equipped with upstream catalytic converters designed integrally with the exhaust manifolds.
- Remove the driveplate access cover.
- Remove the bolts that secure the oil pan to the transaxle (see illustrations).
- Remove the oil pan fasteners and remove the oil pan. Note the location of any stud bolts.
- Remove and discard the oil pan gasket. If necessary, remove the fasteners that secure the oil screen and pick-up tube and remove the screen and tube assembly.
- Thoroughly clean the oil pan and cylinder block mating surfaces using lacquer thinner or acetone. The surfaces must be free of any residue that will keep the sealant from adhering properly. Clean the oil pan inside and out with solvent and dry with compressed air.
INSTALLATION (Refer to illustration 12.14)
- If removed, install a new O-ring seal onto the oil pick-up tube. Install the tube and screen assembly and tighten the retaining fasteners to the torque listed in this Chapter's Specifications. Use a new self-locking nut to secure the pick-up tube support bracket. Tighten the nut to the torque listed in this Chapter's Specifications.
- Install a new gasket on the oil pan. Apply a 1/8-in bead of RTV sealant to the oil pan gasket in the area of the engine front cover-to-cylinder block parting line.
- Install the oil pan, being careful not to dislodge the pan gasket. Install the pan bolts and tighten by hand. Be sure to install any stud bolts in the locations noted during removal.
Install the oil pan-to-transaxle bolts. Firmly push the oil pan against the transaxle and tighten the pan-to-transaxle bolts snugly. Then, tighten the oil pan bolts (see illustration) gradually and evenly, to the torque listed in this Chapter's Specifications.
CLUTCH AND DRIVELINE | INTERMEDIATE SHAFT
REMOVAL (Refer to illustration 8.23)
- Remove the right side wheel cover or hub cap. Break the hub nut loose with a socket and a large breaker bar.
- Loosen the wheel lug nuts, raise the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands. Remove the wheel.
- Separate the lower control arm from the steering knuckle (see Chapter 10).
- Remove the driveaxle/hub nut from the axle and discard it.
- Swing the knuckle/hub assembly out (away from the vehicle) until the end of the driveaxle is free of the hub.
NOTE: If the driveaxle splines stick in the hub, tap on the end of the driveaxle with a plastic hammer. Support the outer end of the driveaxle with a piece of wire to avoid unnecessary strain on the inner CV joint.
- Remove the driveaxle (see Step 6).
- Remove the bearing support nuts (see illustration) and slide the intermediate shaft out of the transaxle. Be careful not to damage the differential seal when pulling the shaft out.
TABLE of CONTENTS:
Introduction: About this manual | Introduction | Vehicle identification numbers | Maintenance techniques, tools and working facilities | Buying parts | Jacking and towing | Booster battery (jump) starting | Conversion factors | Automotive chemicals and lubricants | Safety first! | Troubleshooting
Subject: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Ford Escape, Mazda Tribute, Mercury Mariner service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563929694 | ISBN-13: 9781563929694 | Chilton 26230
- Tune-up and routine maintenance
- 2.0L Zetec, 2.3L and 2.5L in-line 4-cylinder engines
- 3.0L Duratec V6 engine
- Engine and overhaul procedures
- Cooling, heating and air-conditioning systems
- Fuel and exhaust systems
- Engine electrical systems
- Emissions and engine control systems
- 5-speed manual transaxle
- 4-speed automatic transaxle
- 6-speed automatic transaxle
- Transfer case
- Clutch and driveline
- Brakes, ABS
- Suspension and steering systems
- Chassis electrical system
- Wiring diagrams
- Publisher: Chilton Manuals
- Pages: 400 - Hundreds of b&w photos and illustrations
- Binding: Paperback - 8.25 x 11 inches
- ISBN: 978-1-56392-969-4