The 1996-2000 Suzuki RM125 motocross bike repair manual by Clymer, covers models indicated.
Book Excerpt: 1996-2000 Suzuki RM125 Repair Manual
PISTON AND PISTON RING
The piston assembly has a limited lifespan. Refer to Chapter Three for the recommended replacement intervals for the individual piston components.
Keep accurate records as to when parts have been replaced. This will help in troubleshooting and determining the parts to have on hand when rebuilding the top end.
As each component of the piston assembly is cleaned and measured, record and identify all measurements. The measurements will be referred to when calculating clearances and checking wear limits.
CAUTION: New circlips must be installed during assembly.
- Remove the cylinder as described in this chapter.
- Before removing the piston, hold the rod and try to rock the piston (Figure 73). If rocking (not sliding) motion is detected, this indicates wear on either the piston pin, pin bore or needle bearing.
Wear could be on any combination of the three parts. Careful inspection will be required to determine which parts should be replaced.
- Wrap clean shop cloths around the connecting rod to prevent debris and small parts from falling into the crankcase.
- Remove the circlips from the piston pin bores (Figure 74). Discard the circlips.
This chapter provides procedures for removing, disassembling, inspecting and repairing the carburetor. Also included is information on how the different jetting systems operate within the carburetor. Refer to the table at the end of the chapter for the standard carburetor specifications for each model and year.
TABLE of CONTENTS:
Refer to this chapter for throttle cable replacement, air filter housing removal, and fuel tank and fuel valve and filter procedures. Refer to Chapter Three for throttle cable adjustment and air filter service.
SERVICE PRECAUTIONS AND PRACTICES
When working on the fuel system, observe the following shop and safety practices...
WARNING! Gasoline and most cleaning solvents are extremely flammable. Do not smoke or use electrical tools in the vicinity of the work area. Turn off heating appliances and those with a pilot light. If gasoline can be smelled in the work area, a potential hazard exists.
- General Information
- Lubrication, Maintenance and Tune-up
- Engine Top End and Lower End
- Clutch and External Gearshift Linkage
- Transmission and Internal Shift Mechanism
- Fuel and Emission Systems
- Exhaust System
- Electrical System
- Wheels, Tires and Drive Chain
- Front Suspension and Steering
- Rear Suspension
- Body and Frame
- Wiring Diagrams
Subject: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 Suzuki RM125 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0892877979 | ISBN-13: 9780892877973 | Clymer M400