This Haynes repair manual, covers all Chrysler Cirrus, Dodge Stratus, and Plymouth Breeze models, 1995-2000.
Book Excerpt: 1995-2000 Chrysler Cirrus, Dodge Stratus, Plymouth Breeze Repair Manual
FUEL AND EXHAUST SYSTEMS
FUEL FILTER | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
WARNING: Gasoline is extremely flammable, so take extra precautions when you work on any part of the fuel system (see the Warning in Section 2).
REMOVAL (Refer to illustration 15.1)
- The in-line fuel filter mounts to the frame above the rear of the fuel tank, near the filler neck (see illustration).
- Remove the fuel tank filler cap to relieve fuel tank pressure.
- Perform the fuel pressure relief procedure (see Section 2).
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the ground stud on the left shock tower (see Chapter 5, Section 1).
- Working inside the trunk, fold back the trunk mat near the base of the left shock tower. Locate the fuel pump wiring harness 4-pin connector and disconnect it from the wiring harness (see illustration 2.3).
Follow the fuel pump wiring to the grommet at the base of the rear seat. Tie a length of string to the fuel pump wiring harness and secure the other end somewhere in the trunk (this will allow you to easily retrieve the wiring harness).
Push the grommet through the floor pan and feed the wiring and 4 pin connector through the hole.
- Raise the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands.
- Position an approved gasoline container under the fuel tank drain plug. If necessary, use a funnel to prevent spilling fuel. Warning: The fuel tank capacity is 16 gallons. Unless the fuel tank is almost empty, be prepared to collect a significant amount of fuel.
Do not leave the fuel tank draining operation unattended. Be prepared to replace the drain plug in case the fuel tank capacity exceeds the container capacity. Remove the drain plug (see illustration 5.6) and drain the fuel into the container.
- Check the pan periodically. Make sure the bolts are tight, no bolts are missing, the gasket is in good condition and the pan is flat (dents in the pan may indicate damage to the valve body inside).
- If the pan gasket is leaking, the fluid level or the fluid pressure may be too high, the vent may be plugged, the pan bolts may be too tight, the pan sealing flange may be warped, the sealing surface of the transaxle housing may be damaged, the gasket may be damaged or the transaxle casting may be cracked or porous.
If sealant instead of gasket material has been used to form a seal between the pan the transaxle housing, it may be the wrong type of sealant.
- If a transaxle seal is leaking, the fluid level or pressure may be too high, the vent may be plugged, the seal bore may be damaged, the seal itself may be damaged or improperly installed, the surface of the shaft protruding through the seal may be damaged or a loose bearing may be causing excessive shaft movement.
Subject: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 Chrysler Cirrus, Dodge Stratus, Plymouth Breeze service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563924013 | ISBN-13: 9781563924019 | Haynes 25015