This repair and service manual covers the following General Motors vehicles, 2002 to 2009 models:
- Chevy Trailblazer
- Chevy Trailblazer EXT
- GMC Envoy
- GMC Envoy XL
- Olds Bravada
All 2WD & 4WD models with inline 4.2L inline 6-cylinder, 5.3L V8, or 6.0L V8 engines. U.S. and Canadian models.
Book Excerpt: 2002-2009 Chevy Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, Olds Bravada Repair Manual
GENERAL ENGINE OVERHAUL PROCEDURES
CAUTION! Do not hammer the bearing insert into place and don't nick or gouge the bearing faces. DO NOT apply any lubrication at this time.
DIFFERENTIAL LUBRICANT CHANGE (every 60,000 miles or 48 months)
- Clean the faces of the bearing inserts in the block and the crankshaft main bearing journals with a clean, lint-free cloth.
- Check or clean the oil holes in the crankshaft, as any dirt here can go only one way- straight through the new bearings.
- Once you're certain the crankshaft is clean, carefully lay it in position in the cylinder block.
- Before the crankshaft can be permanently installed, the main bearing oil clearance must be checked.
- Cut several strips of the appropriate size of Plastigage. They must be slightly shorter than the width of the main bearing journal.
- Place one piece on each crankshaft main bearing journal, parallel with the journal axis as shown (see illustration).
- Clean the faces of the bearing inserts in the main bearing cap assembly. Hold the bearing inserts in place and install the assembly onto the crankshaft and cylinder block. DO NOT disturb the Plastigage. Make sure you install the main bearing caps with the arrows facing the front of the engine, then install the stiffener.
Refer to illustration 29.3
TABLE of CONTENTS:
- This procedure should be performed after the vehicle has been driven, so the lubricant will be warm and therefore will flow out of the differential more easily.
- Raise the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands. You'll be draining the lubricant by removing the drain plug, so move a drain pan, rags, newspapers and wrenches under the vehicle.
- Remove the fill plug (see illustration 16.2a (rear differential) or 16.2b (front differential)). Now remove the drain plug and allow the lubricant to drain into the pan (see illustration), then clean and reinstall the drain plug. Tighten the plug to the torque listed in this Chapter's Specifications.
- Use a hand pump, syringe or squeeze bottle to fill the differential housing with the specified lubricant until it's level with the bottom of the fill-plug hole. If using synthetic axle lubricant, the level should be below the fill-plug opening by 1/2-inch.
Introduction: About this manual | Introduction | Vehicle identification numbers | Maintenance techniques, tools and working facilities | Buying parts | Jacking and towing | Anti-theft audio system | Booster battery (jump) starting | Conversion factors | Automotive chemicals and lubricants | Safety first! | Troubleshooting
- Tune-up and routine maintenance
- In-line 6-cylinder engine
- V8 engines
- Engine and overhaul procedures
- Cooling, heating and air-conditioning systems
- Fuel and exhaust systems
- Engine electrical systems
- Emissions and engine control systems
- Automatic transaxle, transfer case
- Suspension and steering systems
- Chassis electrical system
- Wiring diagrams
Subject: 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Chevy Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, Olds Bravada service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563928035 | ISBN-13: 9781563928031