This Chevy engine overhaul manual by Haynes includes Chevrolet engine identification, tools and equipment, diagnosis, cylinder head servicing, engine removel and installation, step-by-step procedures.
Fully illustrated with over 300 photos, tips from professionals, machine shop repairs, and performance and economy modifications.
Chevy 262, 265, 267, 283, 302, 305, 307, 327, 350, 396, 400, 402, 427, and 454 cubic inch V8 engines.
Book Excerpt: Chevrolet Engine Overhaul Manual
Since the point of rebuilding the engine is to provide you with a dependable vehicle, and since the components are off the engine anyhow, overhaul time provides an excellent opportunity for checking and replacing or overhauling the engine subsystems so they won't let you down now that you have a reliable engine.
These include the carburetor, distributor, fuel pump, starter and alternator.
WARNING: Gasoline is extremely flammable, so take extra precautions when you work on any part of the fuel system. Don't smoke or allow open flames or bare light bulbs near the work area, and don't work in a garage where a natural gas-type appliance (such as a water heater or clothes dryer) with a pilot light is present.
TABLE of CONTENTS:
If you spill any fuel on your skin, rinse it off immediately with soap and water. When you perform any kind of work on the fuel tank, wear safety glasses and have a Class B type fire extinguisher on hand.
- When it comes time to overhaul the carburetor, you have several options. If your going to attempt to overhaul the carburetor yourself, first obtain a good quality carburetor rebuild kit (which will include all the necessary gaskets, internal parts, instructions and parts list).
You'll also need some special solvent and a way of blowing out the internal passages of the carburetor with air.
- An alternative is to obtain a new or rebuilt carburetor. They are readily available from dealers and auto parts stores.
Make absolutely sure the exchange carburetor is identical to the original.
The carburetor model is stamped on the float bowl or on a metal tag (see illustration). It will help determine the exact type of carburetor you have.
When obtaining a rebuilt carburetor or a rebuild kit, make sure the kit or carburetor matches your application exactly.
Seemingly insignificant differences can make a large difference in engine performance.
- Tools and Equipment
- Diagnosing Engine Problems
- Preparing for an Overhaul
- Overhauling the Cylinder Heads
Overhauling the Engine Block
- Reassembling and Installing the Engine
- Related Repairs
- Improving Performance and Economy
- Booster Battery (Jump) Starting
- Conversion Factors
- Electrical Glossary
- Understanding Wiring Diagrams
Subject: Chevrolet engine overhaul, rebuild manual. ISBN-10: 1850107629 | ISBN-13: 9781850107620 | Haynes 10305